Savage Customer Service - Excellent :)

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by NXMR, Jun 18, 2012.

1. NXMR

NXMR New Member

Edited: I have since contacted Savage and they have been extremely helpful and proactive. Confidence in Savage restored!

(Posted this on another forum, and am not done posting it.)

Just a general note: had a bad experience with Savage Customer service.

Had to call customer service regarding FTF on a model 64.

1) The representative was unresponsive, blasé, and flippant - I had to prod the guy to get any responses out of him at all. Like talking to a cat. "Here's what's going on (proceeded to explain the problem), etc." ... silence... "Hello?" "Uhhh... yeah?" etc. I thought I was talking to some stoned college kid.

2) The representative seemed to have little knowledge of what I was talking about. Example: how magazines work, etc. He made no effort to assist in helping troubleshoot the problem or make recommendations about how they could help.

3) Their attitude was basically "Yeah well, (yawn) you can send the magazine in if you want (at my own expense of course). We'll send you another one back."

Well, I guess that's my penalty for not going with the good old Ruger 10/22. I own two other Savage rifles, but this will be my last purchase of any of their products, since they don't seem to have any enthusiasm for assisting their customers or backing up their brand.

--That aside, I'm glad to be here - I've lurked but didn't join until I had something to post about :)
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Re: Savage Customer Service - horrible

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry and a bit surprised to hear your problem, as Savage has some of the best customer service in the firearms industry. For example about a year ago a friend had an accuracy problem with one of their .22 LR Rifles. When it was returned to Savage, they first installed a new barrel, but such did not satisfactorily solve the problem. Then they hand selected a new rifle that printed a 10 shot one sub inch group at 100 yards (center to center, the two widest shots) and sent the replacement rifle and test target to the customer.

I am confident that Joe DeGrande, who heads their Customer Service Department, would not approve of what you state that you experienced. I suggest that you address and send a letter to him at Savage. I think that your problem will be solved.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  3. NXMR

NXMR New Member

Hi! Thanks for your response. I too was a bit surprised. I got the impression the guy was, I dunno, reading a book, watching TV, etc. Better things to do than hear about my petty little problem. I actually had to cue him in that it was his turn to talk. Amazing.

I had a pretty high opinion of Savage until this morning. Don't get me wrong, they make great rifles - my other two are top notch and I wouldn't trade them.

I can't find any email addresses on their site, so I guess a "snail mail" letter will be my next step.

Thanks for the name, I'll address it to Mr. DeGrande.

Apologies that my first post here was a negative one. You guys seem like a really good group of folks!
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i agree.. savage is pretty high up in my book...
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

For NXMR relative to post #3:

Just got off the telephone with Savage's Mr. DeGrande. His email is jdegrande@savagearms.com

{I hope that I got his email address right.}

He said to please send him an email and he will take care of your problem.
  6. Munch

Munch Member

I had the exact same issue with my 64 and did just trade it in on a 10/22. I was so frustrated with the rifle, I didn't even want it in the house anymore. I took a huge loss on it, but at least I have something that works. I have been a huge advocate for Savage, both here and in person. they make an outstanding product! The Model 64 however, is their black sheep in my opinion. I do look forward to owning a Savage in .308, far better rifle than I as a guidance system.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

let us know what happens
  8. soundguy

yep, deffinately interested in hearing the outcome as well..
  9. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Over many years, I have had a handful of problems with several manufacturers of guns and other things. I have encountered more than one customer service representative who could not or, more likely, would not properly deal with my problem. Such persons usually have a superior that they must answer to and follow the orders of.

When you cannot get satisfaction from the person you are dealing with, you next logical step is to ask to be put in contact with their supervisor or some other superior who might be able to satisfactorily deal with your problem. If doing so not solve your problem, then you are certainly justified in "telling it like it is" at various public forums, in the hope that public pressure will cause the company to behave in a more responsible manner.

Logically, you come to various public forums and start posting negative facts only after you have made reasonable private efforts to have the manufacturer resolve your problem. I have had to do so with only one gun-maker in over 50 years. {The facts of said matter are posted at TFF.}

While I have no reason to believe that NXMR is not "telling it as he see's it"; I do believe that if Savage has a customer service representative that typically behaves as described, Mr. DeGrande will insure that said representative changes his ways or place of employment.

Hopefully NXMR checks his thread here, contacts Mr. DeGrande, gets a new magazine, or whatever is necessary to solve his "failure to feed" problem; and reports on his experiences to this forum.
  10. NXMR

NXMR New Member

Whoa! Looks like I posted at the right forum!

I will email Mr. DeGrande later today and get back with you guys. Just from what I've read so far I think they will handle this.

Thank you very much for your help, Hammerslagger!

Depending on my work schedule it may be tomorrow before I can check back here.

Thanks again all :)
  11. NXMR

NXMR New Member

Yeah, I hear ya. It's really irritating. It's not that it's a really expensive rifle or anything, but it is frustrating.
  12. NXMR

NXMR New Member

Okay all, I spoke with Mr. DeGrande @ Savage and am very pleased.

Super nice guy, interesting in fixing my problem and helping me get satisfaction. After some discussion, he believes the problem may well be with the magazine and he is going to send me a new one, along with instructions on how to return the one that came with my rifle so that they can take a look at it.

My faith is restored. I believe if I continue to have a problem with this rifle that Savage will stand behind it.

(Any way to edit a thread title to one less accusitory :eek:hmygosh: ?)
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Great thanks Hammer
  14. soundguy

cool deal!
  15. NXMR

NXMR New Member

Hey all, I've got a request in with a moderator to change this thread title to something more appropriate.

Thanks again for all the help.