Savage Fox B-Series H 12 Ga. Age and Worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sirugh, Dec 19, 2009.

1. sirugh

sirugh New Member

Hey guys! I received this great shotgun as a graduation present, and I am looking for some history. It is my first shotgun (to own) and I'm just curious.

Details:

The shotgun is a 12 Gauge with two SxS 30 inch barresl. On one barrel it says:

"PROOF TESTED 12 GAUGE
    --2 3/4 & 3 INCH SHELLS--"

also, to the right of those words is "(SP)" and what looks like the numbers 51 turned sideways followed by a ")"

On the other it says:

"SAVAGE ARMS
    WESTFIELD, MASS. USA
    PATENT 3,005,263"

to the right of these words is also "(SP)" and "(5"

On the left side of the gun, there is a serial number: "B769132"
    On the right side of the gun, there are the words: "FOX B-series"
    On the bottom of the gun is an engraving of a Fox's head.

The gun is similar to this one here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the wood engravings are exactly like the one there, but mine is a 12 gauge. Thank you to anyone who can help me!
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Fox Model B was made for many years by Savage ("SP" is "Savage Proof"). It is a simplified version of the original A.H. Fox shotguns. In turn, the Springfield 511 and Stevens 311 were cheaper versions of the Fox Model B.

They are decent hunting shotguns, with no collector value. If I understand correctly, the new Savage company will not support the Fox B (or any of the old line), but parts are available and most gunsmiths are familiar with them.

Jim
  3. sirugh

sirugh New Member

Great! I appreciate your response so soon! What about the history of this particular gun? Do you know when about it might have been manufactured? I understand the model was made until '88, but I'm trying to narrow it down a bit. Thanks again Jim K!
  4. sirugh

sirugh New Member

Bump! Any info? If not, could you point me in the right direction? Thanks! and Merry Christmas!`
  5. sbennett88

sbennett88 New Member

I will tell you this. These are great AMERICAN made SxS shotguns. As for collector values go they have great potential. New they were about 150.00. now I see then selling for $500.00 and up. I love my BE 20ga. made in 1979. Keep that gun and be proud of it. They are solid and function great.Take care of it and pass it down and see what collector value is all about.
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Just sold one in 20 ga. for $500, but it was a little better grade with a single trigger, and it was more desirahle than the 12 ga. It took a long time to sell. Most of these were made in the fifties.