Savage Fox Model B

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 45Smashemflat, Oct 19, 2003.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

This started out on the Tech Help board as a "rebluing tip" request.

I've got a Savage Fox Model B. No Serial Number. Marked DC on the water table, fore end itrn, etc. Twin Triggers, Twin beads. Retriever scene on the bottom of the box lock. Action is marked Fox. Barrels are marked, Savage - Fox.

Would not call it Good Condition myself. Case colors are about gone. (They show up well in protected areas, wood-side of fore end iron, etc) Barrels are brown, and finish is completely worn through in the normal carry spots. 30" tubes, choked F/M. Non-Ejector - extractor only.

Still locks up real tight. Goes bang reliably.

Any ideas what I've got? Wall hanger? Corner Leaner?
  2. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

If it locks up tightly,have the chambers checked for length and the rest of it looked over.If it checks out okay,either have it refinished (beware of hot blueing until you can find out if it has soft soldered barrels or "hard soldered" ones) or make a rainey day gun out of it.
    My thoughts (if it were mine),Robert.:cool:
  3. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

How close are you to McDonough? My folks used to live there. I'm south of you in Perry.

Looks to be 2 3/4 chambers. Reckon the chokes can be reamed out some, or will that spoil the bore and start erosion? Shoots a little tight right now.
  4. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

Hi 45smashemflat(what a nic!),
    I'm in scenic (or senile) Locust Grove (10 miles down the road).Been through here lately?You might be surprised how much it's changed in the last ten years.If the developers have there way,there won't be an undeveloped acre in Henry County.
    As for the chokes on your Savage,they are made of the same material as the rest of the barrels so opening them up won't affect durability.
    Do you hunt quail?Most guys seem to prefer a hacksaw choke for quail.this might be a good candidate for shortening for quail.
    I have a worn out pos Savage that I'm rebuilding for practice that I'm going to put choke tubes in.This is another thing you might consider.
    Robert.
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Hacksaw choke - that's good!!

I wouldn't mine knocking it back to 28" tubes, not sure if that would leave me enough wall thickness for screw ins, although that would really be the ticket. Its choked F/M - if I keep it fixed, I'd rather have M/IC I think.

I don't hunt quail, but wouldn't mind trying. I do shoot a good bit of clays and waste a lot of shells on dove.

My folks lived up close to 75 off of 81. That exit has REALLY built up what with the Lowe's and Wally World. I drive by there a good bit on the way to the airport.
  6. warpig

warpig Guest

I have a model 311 that has had screw in chokes installed. They are not tru-lock or Briley............I can't remember the brand they are, but I bet yours has enough metal to have it done also.
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Good info Warpig - how long are your inserts? If I keep going this way I'll have a decent old-modern SxS worth $400 with $1,000 worth of mods!!! ha ha
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Here's some additional info that may help point out how old this SxS is, but I do not know how to interpret the letters

The water table is marked DC on the left barrel's side. It also has a C in a circle on the left side. There is a small s on the right side.

Any ideas?
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The Savage/Fox Model B was made from 1939 to 1986. Since yours has no serial #, it was made sometime between 1939 and 1968.

Standard Catalog of Firearms puts it at about $350 to $400.

Blue Book has it at about $180.

I'd call it a shooter.
  10. warpig

warpig Guest

I suppose they are about 2" long.