Savage Mark II 22 Cal Eject problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gvw3, Apr 5, 2012.

1. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son has a problem with his savage every 10/20 shells he has a fail to eject. He has had the gun for over a year and ran about 1500 rounds with no issues.

The bolt doesn't catch the spent shell to eject. He has to slam bolt forward several times for it to catch the spent shell. He is using the same ammo all along. Any Ideas??? :confused::confused::confused:
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

How clean is it? is there crud in the extractor channel? Is the extractor hook sharp? does it have proper spring tension? is there damage to the chamber mouth from dry firing?
  3. gvw3

He says it's clean but I am going to check myself. The extractor hook look sharp but it has a slight notch or bend. Not sure if should have this. I will go to a gun store and look at a new one..
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

This is your culprit. Every so often, crud is causing the extractor to stay pulled outward from the bolt when it gets pushed there by the cartridge head. Remove the extractor and -- lightly -- stone the sides of the extractor to give slightly more clearance for it to move freely against its spring tension. Pay some attention to the inside of the channel the extractor rides in.

This is stoning, not filing.
  5. gvw3

Thanks for the help. I think you guy's have us on the correct direction.

You may get a laugh from this. We went to Cabelo's yesterday and one of the guys on the counter said well its only a 22 and they may not last to long. I told him you don't know what you are talking about. I have a 22 from 1964 and it still works as good as the day I bought it.

Cabelo's should give these guys some basic training before they put them to work.