The Firearms Forum banner

Savage Mark II models

15K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  CJ_56 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I need a little help sorting through the many different models savage offers for the mark II series.. What I am trying to get is the most accurate .22lr I can out of the box from $200 to even $400 if its really worth it. I want the bull barrel with open sights for targets under 50 yards, tapped so I can add a scope for shooting over 50yds, and with the accu trigger, also I would really prefer synthetic stock.. Is their a model that fits this bill?

After doing some more looking it seems that a V in the series means the heavy barrel!? Is this correct, and it looks like the only one with the heavy barrel and any kind of sights is the bvt with peep sights?

Also I am open to other suggestions for a rifle in this price range that would be more accurate.

Thanks for any help offered.

#4 ·
The Mark II is an excellent rifle. My son has one in stainless it is extremely accurate. I believe they come with a scope and no iron sights. They are awesome for the price,His is the BTV Model thumb-hole stock. I have the Model 93R .17HMR same action and barrel as the Mark II . For the price you can't go wrong.BTW did I tell you they are made in North America. I like the Firearm.Call if you have any ?'s 978-424-7024.:) Cliff

#5 ·
I prefer the CZ line of 22's. The savages shoot very well, the CZ's shoot very well, the fit and finish on the CZ is much better than the savage. Handle both see which you like the best. The CZ 455 Varmint can be found for $400. It has a nontapered target barrel, but does not have open sights. The barrels can also be changed if you prefer a .17

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. The CZ's do look nice but a little above what I think I want to spend.

Beth, I went to the Marlin website to look at the model 60 and liked it, but since I already have a semi auto I really wanted a bolt action, but I saw the Marlin XT-22 TSR which I am liking a lot, especially the 17 round tubular magazine. Anyone have any experience with these?

#7 ·
First let me say that the CZ line is awesome! No issues there. However, I bought my son a base model Mark II and was shocked at how well it did. I had bought a Nikon 3X9X40 for hunting, but I slapped it on the Savage just to see how accurate it could be. Shocking!!!

I don't have the bull barrel or the tactical stock. I had thought about buying a better stock, but I haven't had any issues with the stock one. It took a couple of shots but I was able to hit a bottle cap at 50 yards and clay birds at 100 aren't all that hard.

I don't shoot in a league so I really can't justify any more money on it. The mags could be a little nicer but I've never had an issue with one. The price is dirt cheap and the accuracy is pretty darn good.

It has made for a super fantastic first rifle for my 12 year old son. I took him and a friend of mine out the range this winter and my Son was complaining about how poorly he was shooting (50 yards). We walked down to check the targets and my friend was blown away by my Son's grouping. 10 rounds all within a silver dollar by a 12 year old in 26 degree weather. My son just looked at him and said you don't know how much better I shoot when i'm not shivering.

#8 · (Edited)
My Savage MkII BTV is more accurate than my CZ 453 and it's had far less problems. I've had rust issues, a bolt that sticks, a stock that is very soft for walnut and a few other minor problems with my CZ. I've not had nearly as much trouble from my Savage and I've owned it about 4 years compared to my CZ which is about a year and a half old. I didn't abuse my CZ either. I take very good care of my firearms. I gave it a coat of protecting oil but it didn't work nearly as well as it did on other rifles. I do have to say that when I switched oil the rust problems went away. But I still have the odd moment when the bolt just plain sticks open or sticks closed. I also still have times when I pull the set trigger and the main trigger doesn't fire.

So as good as CZ's are, they are not the perfect rifle people make them out to be. If I had to choose which one must go it would be the CZ. My Savage is a better rifle by a good bit. Again it is more accurate but not by a lot. It's the other issues that would make me sell the CZ and keep the Savage.

BTW you can also get the FVT which has peep sights but the F stocks are not very stiff. The B stocks are a much better choice. In fact my rifle started out as an F stock but I bought a BT stock and I'm glad I did. I like the thumbhole and the laminate is high quality. It does have some minor issues btw. It just doesn't have as many as my CZ does. It's not even close actually.

I have won many contests with both of these rifles though. They are both excellent shooters. There are certainly things I like about the CZ over the Savage.

One other thing. If you want the best deal on a good bolt action .22 around get a Marlin XT22TR. The trigger is a carbon cope of the Savage trigger, it comes with iron sights, you can mount a scope on a dovetail mount or on a Weaver mount. They aren't quite as accurate as the Savage and the CZ but they're close. At least mine is. They are considerably cheaper than any of the Savages with the varmint barrels (that's what the "V" stands for in the model names) but they don't have a bull barrel. Most CZ's don't either but you can buy one. They are more expensive and they really don't make a lot of difference. They do make a difference on the Savages but the sporter barrel models are still very accurate. They are cheaper than the Marlins too. I guess maybe that's the best deal on a .22 bolt rifle come to think of it.

It's hard to go wrong with any of those rifles actually. The CZ's and Savages are probably a wash when it comes to accuracy. It just depends on whether you get lucky when you buy one. Both of mine are very accurate. It's just the Savage is a little more accurate in my case. I've shot some very good targets with both rifles when it gets right down to it.

#9 ·
Well thank you all for your comments, I stopped by a local store today on my way home from work and asked to see which savage and marlin models they had for me to look at, and was surprised to find a savage mark II fvxp on clearance because they are no longer going to stock them. I wasn't too thrilled about the green synthetic stock but for the price and with the varmint barrel which was fluted and included with a factory bore sighted scope (if it sucks I have other scopes) I'm pretty excited. The fluted varmint barrel pretty much sold me.

Any suggestions on wether I should oil her up before I shoot or should it be good to go out of the box, I'm pretty anxious.

#10 ·
Congrat's on your new Savage Tas.
On a new rifle (which this is what I do), just for the fact that you dont know what sort
of oil they use and plus, it could have about anything in the rifle it's self such as metal
shaveing's or whatnot from being new. But I'd break it down and give it a proper
cleaning and proper oiling before fireing it.

#11 ·
Watch oiling the bolt by the firing pin. My son did this and had ejection problems. Other than that it is the most accurate 22 I have ever shot...

#12 · (Edited)
I like my actions as dry as possible. They collect powder residue if you keep a lot of oil on them. I've seen people spray guns down with WD40 after every 5 shots or so. They had to because they would stick like crazy if they didn't. It was because they put so much oil on it. They oiled my SKS like that (without bothering to ask me about it) and I cleaned it all off as soon as they left. My SKS has worked perfectly for years without heavy oil

Sometimes you have to oil an action some. But when they're new I don't add any oil until I shoot the guns enough for the powder residue to soak up the original oil. I can see where there's too much oil on the gun that way because it will have a ton of residue built up. That's when I give the gun a really good cleaning and then apply oil where the gun needs it and only there. IMO oil can cause more problems than it fixes if you start oiling the action. I shot my 1988 Marlin 60 for 20 years and never put a drop of oil on it. It did seem to wear out eventually but I shot about 150,000 rounds through it before it wore out. I put a little oil on it then and now it shoots perfect again. Oil is overrated in actions IMO.

And speaking of oiling the bolt near the firing pin as mentioned by gvw3 he is very right. That oil can get inside the firing pin channel and cause the firing pin to stick in certain guns. If it sticks forward in a semi-auto you can have a machine gun in your hands. You pull the trigger once and it empties the mag. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

#13 ·
So last night i took my new savage out, cleaned it up a bit and was getting it ready to go out today. But when I go to mount the scope I noticed the rifle came with factory mounted weaver mounts and the scope they included has dove tail rings which are far to small to fit on, is this normal or am I missing something, why would they package a scope that can't even be mounted

#15 ·
I'm pretty sure they just put the wrong scope in with it, it was supposed to be a 4x28 but it actually came with a 3-9x32 scope which I prefer so I'm not too mad at it, just bought some weaver rings and it's all set, had pretty nice groups today from 50 yards out with Remington subsonics, federal lightning, federal bulk, and remington bulk golden bullets.. Strangely enough I had the worst results with the most expensive rounds I bought which were CCI stingers, not grouping wise but the magazine wasn't pushing the rounds up, had to take out the mag after almost every round and tap on the end to get the rounds to the top. All in all, very happy with the savage thus far. I took some pics I'll try and post a little later

#16 ·
I have to say that most people I know don't care much for Remington rimfire ammo. Some people swear by it but most swear at it I think. The last brick of it I bought was the absolute worst ammo I ever shot anywhere. There were hypersonic rounds then the next round I'd have to check to see if the bullet even cleared the end of the barrel. I actually had some hit about 10 yards in front of me but I never had any true squibs. It was also extremely dirty. I ended up shooting most it through a single shot Stevens and I would have to clean it after about 100 rounds because the bolt wouldn't even work it was so gummed up. If you look around you'll see a lot of people with similar stories about Remington ammo. But for some people it seems to work great. They must sell different ammo in different parts of the country and call it all the same thing. It was impossible for me to shoot it accurately because it was a constant guess how much power a round would have so I couldn't gauge the drop at all.

Stingers are a hard hitting round but they aren't known to be really accurate. But every rifle has certain ammo it likes and other ammo it doesn't like. My Savage likes either CCI SV or Wolf MT. To be honest my Savage is about the most picky rifle I've ever shot when it comes to what ammo it likes. But there are lots of people who shoot different ammo through their Savages. It's just a matter of trying everything until you find what your rifle likes.

Also on the feed issue you mentioned you might notice there is no feed ramp in the Savage. It's built into the mag. I've had problems with mine there too. Different ammo works better plus just the way you put the mag in makes a difference. I think it will get much better for you once it gets broken in a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.