The Firearms Forum banner

Savage Mark II

10K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Chick 
#1 ·
I added another plinking gun to my small collection. Savage Mark II. Problem. I took to range and it is shooting about 8 inches high. Even with back sight lowered as far as it goes. I have it so low that I have to put stock very high in shoulder to the point that I almost have it on top of shoulder just to bring the front sight into notch in back sight. Can I file the front sight down on this or does anyone know if they sell lowered sights I can swap out for this.

Option 2 would be maybe a little 4X scope. any suggestions on either sight or scope would be appreciated.

#7 ·
Something is totally a miss. Lowering the front sight post will raise the impact point! I know this can get a bit confussing a times just thinking off the cuff - don't do that.

The rear sight has been changed and the sight sits to high, or the front sight was changed and sits to low. The original owner may have already been on the front sight post with a file and gone to far...

There are plently of aftermarket sights that will go on without to much cost; I would go that route before a scope if your after open sights. Just work the problem...

Chuck

#10 ·
measure the height of the front site and check with "gunpartscorp.com" the original sites may have been higher or there should be something available.. best thing is get their catalog SET,, many sites that should work are in the catalog,, you wont find anywhere else,, except the individual manufacturers,,, and gunparts is usually cheaper also

#11 ·
I have an older one that I purchased used and it did the same thing. I put a cheap CenterPoint 3-9x32 rimfire scope on it and I use it for low-velocity rimfire rounds to control critters. It's an excellent shooting gun but I did have problems with the factory iron sights.

#12 ·
Have you disassembled and cleaned and inspected and so on and so on? I am presuming yes

first, how far are you shooting when your POI is 8" high?

Not sure if you have confirmed the cause, but have a suggestion.

now, what kind of front sight do you have? Blade, BB, post?

if you have a blade, you can place a small strip of tape over the front sight, or even one strip folded over the blade. I'd go for a 1/8" adjustment(Increase) to lower the overall POI. darken the side that is facing you with a marker and test fire.

if you have a BB or post, a small straw added to the post or BB can give you the same effect. If you can't find a small diameter straw, try a q-tip stem and then marker it black and then test fire.

doing this should get you close enough to determine how tall of a replacement sight that you need.

My Colt M4Ops had a similar issue. whomever was the original owner had glued a small piece of rubber hose to the front tip to compensate for a too short factory tip. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent a free replacement. so, contact savage and see if they can help.

#13 ·
#17 ·
I bought a Mk II FSS the first of the year, because it had open sights. It shot 3" high at 30 yds. Sent it to Savage. After 4 months, they sent it back, with a sub 1/2" group. Said the barrel was changed. I looked at the barrel and sights. It was the same barrel and sights. Read the report. THEY MOUNTED A SCOPE ON IT AND SIGHTED IT WITH A SCOPE! And, they used sub sonic ammunition. I was totally put out. I was explicit that the rifle was shooting high with the open sights, and that I had no intention of mounting a scope on it. I bought the rifle because it had open sights on it. They did something, because the rifle is now shooting 5" high at 30 yards! I am really ticked. It has been shipped back to those knot heads. I doubt their gunsmith ever even looked at it.

#18 ·
Chick,

Are you sure you have a Mark II FSS? The Mark II FSS does not come with open and/or peep sights, it is drilled and tapped for scope only. The problem you describe is only applicable to the Mark II FVT and Mark I FVT with Williams peep sights.

Any how, the simple solution is to go to http://www.midwayusa.com/product/49...ser-block-250-height-250-width-aluminum-matte and get the sight riser block for the front sight. Measure and order the right part, there are two different parts.

Or, you could order a bloop tube from L3PS.net of any length and get the sight mount and riser.
Product Purple Arm Magenta

#19 ·
Don't know where you got the information that the rifle did not have open sights, as they are even listed on the Savage site, as being drilled and tapped for scope, open sights. Here is what they have.

Model: Mark II FSS
Series:
Mark II
AccuTrigger:
Yes
AccuStock:
No
Magazine:
Detachable box
Stock material:
Synthetic
Barrel material:
Stainless Steel
Stock finish:
Matte
Barrel finish:
Matte
Stock color:
Black
Barrel color:
Natural
Sights:
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts, open sights

As far as a bloop tube, are you serious? We used those on match rifles to extend the sighting plane, but I am darn sure not going to mount one on a sporting rifle. And, it is not my problem to put out money to fix Savage's problem. They can spend the money to fix it.

Here is a link to another disappointed Mk II owner.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5107611&posted=1#post5107611

The Mk II rifle comes with crappy Williams Fiber Optic open sights. And yes, I know what kind of rifle I own and sent back to Savage.

#20 ·
Sorry Chick, didn't mean to get you so hot. I assumed this was for the model with the peep sights. Interesting that Savage's web sight does not show the open "SS" sights in their picture of the rifle, although they do state the sights as you mentioned.

I understand your frustration, but we all make mistakes. Just trying to help.

FYI, they have this problem with the FVT models too, but savage says that as long as the sights can be made to work by almost completely bottoming the rear sight, there is not a problem. Interesting to see what they say about your sporter sights.

#21 · (Edited)
I think the easy solution is to go to
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/68...ser-block-250-height-340-width-aluminum-matte
and get that riser for $7. Savage may not even know about this. It looks like the dovetail cut for the "FSS" front sights are exactly the same as for the "FVT" sights. Wish I had a way to verify. I bet if you call Midway before you order and tell them your problem they would be able to tell you if that insert will work for you or not.

#22 ·
Sorry, I am kind of sensitive about that, because so many people have said the same thing, that I am tired of hearing it. I have been around the coffee cup on this, and pretty much understand all the angles. Actually, a guy did the math and said the front sight needs to be .045 higher, to drop it 3" at 30 yards, but since getting it back, it is now almost twice that high. I have found several others who are having the same issue. It also really torqued me that they checked the rifle by putting a scope on it. I told them it was shooting high with open sights. Why would they mount a scope on it?

#25 ·
Savage called me, after receiving the rifle back the second time. They said they shot the rifle and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I asked them if they shot it with iron sights, because I was not mounting a scope on it. Told the woman that when the rifle came back, that the adjustment screw on the the rear sight was totally not even touching the barrel and it was still shooting high. I told her if it came back and was still shooting high, that I was not going to be happy. They took it back to the range, and said that it was shooting sub 1/2" groups at 30 yards with the iron sights. I got the rifle back and it was still shooting high. BUT, the adjustment screw had the rear sight elevated 1/8". Also, both the rear sight and the front sight was slid to the left in the dovetail. First thing. I centered both front and rear sights, then I lowered the rear sight 1/2 round on the screw. The rifle is now shooting where it is suppose to, but the rifle is only grouping 1" at 30 yds with both CCI Mini Mags and Federal Match ammo.

I don't know what they did the second time, but they did something. What makes me mad is that they said they did nothing. There is absolutely no reason for the dishonesty, and it just agitates me further.

I guess I will have to live with this, but I am not happy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.