Savage MkII BTV or CZ 452 American .22?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by SFTL-1, Nov 1, 2009.

1. SFTL-1

SFTL-1 New Member

Sold my Marlin .22 many years ago and now looking to get back into it and possibly stimulate some interest from my 11 year old. I'm looking for a general purpose, bolt action .22 (.22 LR ammo) and like most people, I want it all - value, quality, accuracy for under $500. I'm looking at a Savage Mk II BTV (thumb hole, laminate stock, heavy barrel) w/3x9x40 scope at Dick's for $300 vs a CZ 452 w/o scope for $400. I'm sure I can pick up a decent scope for $60, so is the CZ worth $160 more than the Savage?

Dick's also has the same Savage with a stainless barrel in a .17 HMR configuration, but I'm not sure I see why I would need to be shooting .17 HMR rounds at 4x the price of .22LR for general purpose shooting up to 100 yards?

Thoughts?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. pawn

pawn New Member

I can't comment on the Savage as I have no experience with the rifle.

I have alot of range time with CZ rifles. The CZ 452 is an excellent rimfire rifle. Craftmanship vs. price point of the CZ makes it an outstanding value. If this rifle was made in America, IMHO, you would be looking at close to twice the asking price. You might consider the Scout version of the 452 for your 11 year old. Entry level youth model for well under $300.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/407/products_id/31197

Enjoy whichever rifle you decide to buy. :D
  3. paradox998

paradox998 New Member

I second the recomendation for the CZ452. I have two and they are excellent rifles. Down the road they will likely become more expensive. I would buy one now.
  4. SFTL-1

SFTL-1 New Member

Thanks for the input, it sounds like I can't go wrong with the CZ. I'll stick with the 452 american as this will be my rifle, if I'm able to stimulate an interest from my 11 year old, then I'll look into getting him his own rifle.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track with selecting a .22LR caliber or am I missing something regarding the .17 HMR?
  5. pawn

pawn New Member

CZ 452 American is a great rifle. I would keep with 22lr....but thats just my opinion.
  6. Joe M

Joe M New Member

Personally I would buy the Savage, but the choice is yours and you can't go wrong with the CZ 452 either.

Again, another personal choice is that I would stick with the .22LR as it is far more cost effective for general purpose shooting.
  7. canadianeh08

canadianeh08 New Member

I had the heavy barrel Savage with thumbhole and for carrying it around all day hunting you will have muscles the size of the governer of CA.
    Sold it and just bought a CZ 452 american:D
  8. jhilde

jhilde New Member

About two months ago I bought a CZ model 513 .22, the entry level bolt gun with magazine and it's very accurate. I put a Weaver Classic 2.5-7x28 on it and can hit anything I aim at. Slim profile, easy to carry and a natural pointer. My CZ 550 in 06 is also a tack driver so I'd say no contest, get the CZ-------John
  9. Barton380

Barton380 New Member

WOW- It amazes me to constantly be reminded of how peoples though processes are so base. WHY SPEND HUNDREDS-of dollars on a rifle...and then put a 60 dollar scope on it? ROFL. That is ridiculous. I have many rifles and ima be honest with u- I have the same kind of scope on them all. From my 22lr to my 7mm mag all have a 50 mm leupold. If u cant hit ur target it aint worth a damn.

Kill the head the body will fall
  10. Barton380

Barton380 New Member

Id rather have a 100 dollar gun with a 600 dollar scope, than a 600 dollar gun with a 100 dollar scope :)

Kill the head the body will fall
  11. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I have never shot the CZ 452, but I have shot the Savage MK II BTV,it is a complete package, accuracy is awesome it even has an adjustable trigger.. YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG! If I needed another .22 thats the one I would buy, nah, I would just use my son's. Have a great day! I would also stick to the .22, I have a .17 cal Henry and at almost 15 bucks per box,it is not worth it!
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  12. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

Honestly you can't go wrong with either. If it's really that big a deal to save $150, go with the Savage. BTW it has a sweet trigger with the accutrigger. To get a trigger like that you would have to have some work done on the CZ. Even though it's adjustable, it's not THAT adjustable. If a few hundred more is no big deal, then the CZ is a great choice, especially the American. That is a beautiful classic looking .22 and accurate as hell. However accuracy is about the same on both rifles. Anyway, both good choices...

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-MarkIIBV22.htm
  13. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

[QUOTE from Barton380 WOW- It amazes me to constantly be reminded of how peoples though processes are so base. WHY SPEND HUNDREDS-of dollars on a rifle...and then put a 60 dollar scope on it? ROFL. That is ridiculous. I have many rifles and ima be honest with u- I have the same kind of scope on them all. From my 22lr to my 7mm mag all have a 50 mm leupold. If u cant hit ur target it aint worth a damn.]

[QUOTE from Barton380 "Id rather have a 100 dollar gun with a 600 dollar scope, than a 600 dollar gun with a 100 dollar scope"]

A $600 scope on a .22? okaaay...
    I can understand putting an expensive and well made scope on a 7mm with all that recoil and capability of shooting long distance. But a $60 scope should be fine on a rifle with almost zero recoil that will be shot at an average of 50 yards! I don't believe the author of the thread was looking for a bulls eye match capable .22. For general back woods plinking, squirell shooting, occasional range bench shooting at 50 or 75 yards, a $600 scope would be ridiculous. I use $100 Nikon rimfire classics on my .22's and I personally could not ask for any more in a scope on a .22. Of course this is just my humble opinion :D
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  14. fyimo

fyimo New Member

The CZ is a fantastic rifle for the price point and they are very accurate. I'd stick with 22LR because ammo is cheap and easy to find. As far as a scope goes the 22LR has almost no recoil and almost all you shooting will be at 100 yards or less so a lower priced scope is fine. There is really no need for a 2 to 3 hundred dollar scope on a 22LR.
  15. accident

accident Active Member Supporting Member

i agree with the lesser priced scopes.i have a 29 year old nikon (this was before the monark and all the different models now.I PAID around $300 in 1980,they only offered a few choices then. This scope with rifle was dropped off a p/up truck by an ex/friend and landed right on the scope on asphalt.scratched it up pretty good. immediately set up a target to check it.shot gun off said hood,still shot 1 MOA.been using it ever since but with new friend.
  16. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

If I were you Savage is coming out with 3 new 22lr in 2010 and they look pretty good.