Savage mod 10 vs Browning BLR

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gerard488, Nov 9, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

*sigh* :rolleyes:
  2. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

OK, Here's one right here, I was going to just stay out of this because most people believe only a bolt action gun can have the kind of accuracy you are talking about.....because that's what they have been told, just like many select thier first deer rifle chambered in 30.06, why? because they don't know any better and they think 30.06 sounds cool, I'll admit that the '06 and the 30-30 have probably put down more deer than several other calibre's combined, simply because so many people won those calibre's, there's nothing wrong with them, I just prefer not to lob my projectiles in an arching fashion :) I prefer something a little more direct and flat shooting,

It's just another Ford/Chevy argument, it's not how the action is operated, it's how it locks up and how securely it holds the round in the chamber right? and yes, how the barrrel/action is bedded/mounted, am I wrong??

Here's a pic of a lever gun that will do 3/4" or less "all day every day", as long as I do my part,

Now I know this isn't fair, because when you say "lever gun", this is not what 99.8% of the folks reading are picturing in thier head,

Just sayin', there are lever guns, and even a semi-auto or 2 that will deliver the kind of accuracy you are talking about, with a 2 piece stock even, I can show you a pic of one of those too if you need :)

All in good fun guys, don't waste too much ammo on me :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have one of each...A Steyr Elite heavy barrel in .223, bolt action and a BLR in .243. I have developed loads for each one; the Steyr gets tighter groups at 100 yards, but the BLR has a heavier bullet.so holds trajectory slightly better at longer distances. At least I was able to hit more falling plates at 200 yards with the BLR than with the .223.

I looked at the owner's manual for the BLR; the cleaning process is limited...you can't take the bolt out, according to the literature--reassembly is a real trick to get the rotating action back just right. Maintenance on a BLR is a different story from the bolt action.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Still no pics of a 20 rd string at 200 to prove the 3/4 moa claim...
  5. gerard488

gerard488 Member

Now, Now,, In post #4 it was Leveraction that can string 10 shots into an inch at 100 yds.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ill settle for that too.. But it aint gonna happen.
  7. gerard488

gerard488 Member

I would like to thank everyone for all of the answers, Made my decision, Savage it is.
    Thanks again,, G
  8. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

good call on the Savage IMO. it's hard to beat a bolt for simple reliable easy to maintain design. but you'll never get my '94 away from me.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ive got an 1894 marlin that i absolutely love too
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Me too. It's a popular gun for gallery rifle competitions at our club.