Savage mod 24

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bigr Bang Thry, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

Hey, guys,

I've been looking for one of these for quite a while, and now I found one, but is it over priced ? Here's the deal:

This is a used Savage model 24 Over-Under combo rifle/shotgun. It is a .223 Rem rifle over a 3" 12 gauge. Fixed choke, (not sure what the choke is, probably MOD.) Blued, with a black synthetic stock set. Condition is somewhere between 80% and 90%. It looks like it was used very little, and well taken care of. I really only want it for hunting coyotes, so I know that it's going to get abused a bit. The dealer has a sticker price on it at $ 799, but he has already offered to go to $ 750. What do you think ???
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

From what I can find it is the 24F (predator)
    If I am right then this gun is over priced big time!
    The book says at 80% it is worth $235.
    At 90% it is worth $290.
    Add $31 for 12 ga.
    Even at 100% it is only worth$585
    Mike
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I agree with Goofy, but I think the BlueBook is low on this model. The BB is a guide and nothing else IMO, it doesn't take into account local love for certain models and the real market of what guns actually sell for. I look at GB completed auctions that have sold for a good idea as to what a certain model sells for.

In 2007 the 24F had a MSR price of $698 but they sold for less.

It looks like they are asking too much. Must be pricing it by what some are "asking" for on GB and a few other online auctions.

After some snooping around I found the "sell" prices to be around $500 or so for the 24F.

People always want more for a discontinued model, they stopped making the 24F in 2007.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $750 for one, but that's me. Do what you feel comfortable with.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I agree GunHugger
    The blue book is only a base line.
    You have to look at what they are selling at in your area.
    Big Bang is in NY west of me and around here guns are overpriced it is kind of nuts when some guns you could not sell at any price and others sell for double what they are worth.
    Mike
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  5. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

So, I went back and looked at it again, and I noticed that it had a screw-in choke tube, but that my first description was basically correct. Then, I asked the salesman if he was set at that price. He inquisitively asked why. I told him that I had done a little homework, and that the bluebook was around $ 400, and that they were selling for about $ 500. Politely, I told him that I would be interested, but not at sticker price. He seemed rather offended, and proclaimed that he "would sell that gun in a heartbeat at sticker price as soon as the coyote hunting got rolling" . I said "good luck", and walked out. A few minutes later I was in another gun shop down the road, and the manager found a BAIKAL MP-94 for me. Chambered in my choice of combinations : 12 ga / .308 or 12 ga / .223 . $ 555, and he would have it in a week. After kicking it around in my mind, I'm going to give him a few hundred to order it on Tuesday. I've decided that the .308 would be more useful, because I could load it with a 110 gr V-Max for predators, or load it up with a 180 gr for larger critters. Since I don't really hunt coyotes for the pelt, I'm not concerned about the excessive damage that may be caused by the bigger rifle caliber. Any thoughts ?