Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by sh00ter, Jun 23, 2007.

1. sh00ter

sh00ter New Member

Greetings!

I am 90% sure this is my next purchase. Any information would be much appreciated to firm up my desire to purchase this varminter.

Yesterday I held a 12LRPV chambered in a .223 at my favorite indoor range (Silver Bullet Firearms), and oh baby I have to have this piece of hardware. At this point I think I will go for the 22-250 Rem, the other choices are .204 Ruger and .223 Rem.

For the most part I will be using it to chuck hunt the great SW Michigan area, and possibly bench shoot if off some of my property just north of the Michigan riffle line for some white tail, as this gun weights so much I don't think it's practical to be lugging it through the woods.

The 22-250 Rem should yield the greatest splatter effect for chucks, and would allow me to take 100-200 yard stabs at white tail during gun season.

I also hope to take a pdog trip out to SD next year and think this would be an excellent choice to bring along. If anyone has shot or owns one of these please, please, please let us hear about it. Thank you kindly.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Savage makes the most accurate ,out of the box ,rifle you will ever own.

I own a Savage mod 12 built by Ace Systems and it's a one hole gun.

Attached Files:

3. The Big Dog

The Big Dog New Member

Hi,

Savage has come a long ways in the last few years. They are the closest thing to a custom gun any rifle company has. I've seen their new target rifle in 308 with a 30" barrel. AWESOME!!!! They're also coming out with a long range rifle chambered in 6.5-284. This is the cartridge of choice for the 1000yd bench rest boys. I have a 6.5/06 and a 6.5-284 I use for long range varmint hunting and love it. Don't shoot a chuck under 200yds unless you have raingear on, ha ha.

The 22/250 is a good choice and so is the 223. If I was just going to hunt varmints, I'd lean towards the 223. With adding deer to the list of animals to be hunted, the 22/250 or even the 243 win would be a good choice.

I've got an idea. If you get the 22/250, you can get a 243 win, 308 win, 6.5-284, 7mm-08 barrel with the same size contour you have and have a switch barrel rifle? This way you are not limited to just one caliber? You already have the action, trigger, stock, and scope.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog
  4. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

The .22-250 is a great choice...I own a Ruger 77 chambered in it and the round works great for varmints as well as deer. 5 deer have fallen to it in the last 3 years. Not to mention groundhogs and a few turkeys. None of them ever took a step. You might want to try loading something in the line of a 55-60 gr barnes X bullet for deer. With the high velocities the solid copper bullet won't break up as bad as a soft point would. As far as the rifle goes, I have a Savage 110FP .300WinMag 26in brl with the exact same Choate stock on it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Although, since my wife shot it, I don't get much time with it anymore...she say's it's her gun now....lol.
  5. paullester

paullester New Member

i actually was given a savage model 12 lrpv it is a great gun shoots wonderfully its chambered in 22-250 and its alot of fun have not shot a chuck with it but the gun itself is great and you have to love the accu trigger its smooth cant wait till winter to take it coyote hunting but the 11 pounds is a little much but hey im a big guy and i like my guns to have some weight
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  6. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I got the 12FV 22.250 myself. I was going to get a rem or a win, but it was on clearance at dick's and there was was no way I could pass it up. It's a fine gun. I find the accu trigger to be interesting too. Something new for me to play with. I finally just set it at the lowest setting, though. I haven't had a chance to shoot it too much though. :-( But the UMC ammo shot pretty good considering my rest was a round bale of hay on end. (I did like the height of it, though.) The gun is pretty much the reason why I am going to get reloading equipment.
  7. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I'm not a terribly big guy. 5'10" 195lbs. But I like my guns with weight too. I guess being in shape it doesn't bother me to lug around a whole extra 2 pounds. But I really do notice those couple of pounds takes the shakes away when pulling the trigger.
  8. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

That's funny I looked up Ace Systems and I saw it under www.target.com. I thought "oh this must be it." No, that was a toy sold by the department store Target.
  9. Ramagnum

Ramagnum New Member

Great looking gun! Do you have a web address or phone number for Ace Systems? A Google search was unsucessful.

Thanks
  10. RichR

RichR Member

I have two savage model112 rifles-one in 300 win mag and the other is a 22-250.Both are extremly accurate and a joy to shoot.I carry the 300 elk hunting but not to far-come in at close to 13 lbs.Both are heavy barreled,fluted with micro laminate stocks.