Savage model 187J not cycling

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by smilts, Jun 4, 2012.

1. smilts

smilts New Member

I have a Savage Model 187J. The problem I'm having is when fired it will load the next shell but wont reset the trigger and firing pin. Everything seems solid in it. When I got it, it was really dirty and not ejecting or loading. Any ideas? Im thinking maybe it needs replacment springs if I can find them?
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Have you tried different ammo? Those rifles are ammo sensitive, even when they are working right, which is not always.

Jim
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It sounds like the bolt isn't traveling back far enough. Have you removed the bolt and cleaned it's travel area? If that's not the problem try some CCI Mini Mags. If it works with them it's an ammo problem. I have an 87B and it works almost all the time with Federal bulk, not at all with Remington but always without a hitch with CCI.
  4. smilts

smilts New Member

Yes Ive stripped the gun down completely. Cleaned and smoothed any rough areas, I took extra time to polish and smooth the bolt track. Then stripped the old bluing and re blued it. Ive only shot remington shells through it but will try the CCI mini mags. thank you both.