Savage model 1903

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BillinNH, Jul 3, 2006.

1. BillinNH

BillinNH New Member

I have a Savage model 1903 pump action 22 long, LR and short in good condition as well the original magazine in very good condition . Bluing is thin on the forward part of the 24 inch octagon barrel and the rifling is worn but still functional (no keyholing). The 1906 patent date is noted on the barrel. The serial # is 1332xx.

Any idea as to the date of manufacture and a possible range of value?

Thanks.

Bill
  2. BillinNH

BillinNH New Member

Hmmm. My picture didn't load. I'll try again.

Bill

Attached Files:

3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Bill.......welcome to TFF. :)

Ahhhhh......that's an oldie but a goodie. On of the very few pump rifles that took a box magazine.

I don't know of any list of manufacture dates for the Model 1903, but they were made from 1903 until 1922. Obviously, yours was made after 1906 (the patent date on the barrel), soooo.....best I can do is sometime between 1906 until 1922.

On the value.....assuming that this is a standard Model 1903 (and not one of the fancier grades), the Blue Book lists it's value at:

98% - $315
    95% - $200
    90% - $150
    80% - $120
    70% - $120
  4. BillinNH

BillinNH New Member

Hi Xracer -

Thanks for the fast and very useful reply. I agree on the "oldie but goodie" description. Its unique combination of action and magazine plus its excellent iron sights and long sight radius make it a very nice gun to own and shoot. I was left one of these by my Grandfather when I was fourteen. It was my first real rifle and I had it until my sophomore year of college. Sold it for beer money, IIRC. Sigh. Anyway I found this one a few years ago and snapped it up even though it was overpriced. I won't sell this one but I was wondering what it was worth for possible insurance purposes.

Maybe I'll check with the Savage historian who does official Letters for $30. He lives only 35 miles from me.

Thanks again.

Bill
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome BILL

Xracer is right on with the prices.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hey Bill......whereabouts in NH are ya from?

Used to do a bunch of racing up there at Bryar Motorsports Park in Loudin (now New Hampshire Int'l Speedway). Ran the Mt. Equinox Hillclimb quite a few times too. :)
  7. BillinNH

BillinNH New Member

Xracer -

I live in southern NH right on the Mass. line, Nashua to be precise. I rode my bikes to Loudon for bike week something like fourteen years in a row so I'm sure I've seen you race. I wanted to campaign my 350 Yamaha two stroke but was unwilling to commit the time. An even more demanding hobby timewise than guns. I bought a BMW R75/5 and rode it all over northeast US and southeast Canada for decades. A great hobby.

Bill
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

BMW R75/5. AHHHHHHHHH! I took mine down after 245,000 miles and looked at everything in the engine, gearbox, etc. Put it back together with new rings and a little polishing on the valve seats. There was no ridge on either end of either cylinder and it took manufacturer's stock size rings. :D Ran it another 214,000 miles before it was stolen.

Pops
  9. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

In my NSHO, nuther case where the blue book does not reflect the true value. IB will take all the 98%'s u got 4 3 franklins. sold my last 1 several yrs ago 4 $500 an it was mebbe 95+

Jus like my Sav 29A, book say zip, I wood "thiunk" about it 4 8-9 hunnert, best slide action 22 IB ever had, an I had a few :cool:
  10. john123

john123 New Member

I have a 1906 savage 22 pump and I need a magazine clip can anyone help me thanks John in jax, fl.
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

12. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Kind of surprised to read the praise of this model Savage, as my late bro-in-law had one, and the clips tended to misfeed a lot, even after a new clip was obtained from Numrich. Did not seem near as reliable as a tubular feed.
  13. Belvedere65

Belvedere65 New Member

Bill, don't know if you still visit this site. I found you because I am looking for Savage Model 1903 info also. Thinking of buying one. Anyway, I am from Nashua, lived there most of my life. Was involved with and raced at New England Dragway from 1966 till 2005. am living in Alabama now.