Savage Model 1907 .32 auto

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by linkovich, Dec 15, 2010.

1. linkovich

linkovich New Member

Can someone please help on me out on the value of this. I know it's a model 1907 in .32 auto, according to the serial number it was made in 1912. I've shot it several times and everything works as it should.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In that condition, around $150-200. They are fairly common, with some 204,000 made, but are an interesting pistol, partly in the way the designer, Elbert H. Searle, managed to work around Browning's patents.

Jim
  3. thepianolist

thepianolist New Member

Savage .32 web.jpg Savage .32 a web.jpg Just joined and came across the post about Savage. I have what I believe is a 1917 variant of the .32 Savage auto. Some differences I notice from the 1907 model pictured are the spur hammer on mine and the different cocking serrations on the slide. Are there more differences that are not easy to detect?
  4. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Yes, thepianolist. The 1917 had a distinctive flared out grip frame and hard rubber panels to match. Yours is actually a late production Model 1907, which had the 1917 style slide serrations and cocking piece. (BTW, there is no uniformity about the name of these first-model Savages. I have seen them called 1907, 1908, and 1909, and that is only what I remember off the top of my head.)

Savage often tinkered with the design of this gun, introducing modifications, dropping them, and then reintroducing them later, perhaps as stocks of old parts were uncovered. There is a very good book about them by a man named Bailey Brower:

http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Pistols-Bailey-Brower-Jr/dp/081170422X/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

It is very good value for the money if you want to know everything about your type of pistol. At least at one time, Savage would (for a fee) do a factory letter on individual guns, but I don't know if they still do, or what they cost.

PS - not to nitpick, but the thing that looks exactly like a hammer on the Savage pistol is actually a cocking piece; the Savage is striker-fired.
  5. thepianolist

thepianolist New Member

Thank you so much for the information! I have had this for years but never really knew too much about it. That book sound like a good read, thanks for the link. I also want to thank you for the information of the cocking piece. Helpful people like you are what make these forums great!!
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Sure thing, pianolist - I should have thanked you for putting up good pictures.

BTW, a word of advice - getting the grips off of that model Savage is tricky. They SNAP into place, and hard rubber that old is not very flexible any more. Don't do it without a good reason. The rest of the pistol is a bit finicky (like you said, Searle had to avoid Browning's patents, which was tough) but very well made.

Late production 1907's like yours are a bit scarcer than the main production, but only the dedicated collectors care very much.
  7. thepianolist

thepianolist New Member

I have heard about the problems with the grip panels - there is a tiny fleabite missing from the left one on mine. I won't be messing with them! I haven't seen too many of these around - just like my S & W .35 auto. Just ordered that book, thanks!
    I was rather surprised that the pictures came out pretty good since I don't have a real camera - just the one in my phone.
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Incidentally, the S&W 35 caliber automatic is another oddball, non-Browning design. The best information I know of about it is still Donald Simmon's long, well illustrated article in the 1976 Gun Digest Annual. It's probably available cheap on Amazon or Ebay or abebooks,com.
  9. thepianolist

thepianolist New Member

The book just arrived! Great book for a great price! Just $21.59 shipped, from Amazon. The page stock is so heavy that when I leafed through it last night, I sometimes thought I had turned TWO pages instead of just one. A great buy for anyone with one of these uncommon pistols.