Savage Model 1915 Pistol Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Old Gun Guy, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I recently picked up this Savage 1915 pistol. It's a good shooter, and I like the feel of it. I know how to take it down for cleaning, but my question is; What is that "button" just forward of the trigger guard on the right-side for? All the literature I find on these pistols dwells on the 1907 and 1917 models which don't appear to have that "button". Any help would be appreciated. I'm enclosing some pics of the pistol. The last pic shows the H.H. Heiser holster that it was in. That's an old timer!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. jondar

jondar New Member

Lock the slide open??
  3. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Jondar,
    No, you lock the slide open by jacking it all the way back and putting the safety on.
    Old Gun Guy
  4. Savage1907

Savage1907 New Member

That is the end/release of the internal lock back lever. When the magazine is empty it interacts with the tab on the special M1915 magazine to hold open the slide. Only one of the Savage pocket pistols to have this feature.
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Savage1907
    Thanks for the response. I finally figured it out after I talked to Mr. Bailey Brower in Madison, New Jersey. He said that my magazine had a worn or out- of-place tab that didn't allow the slide to remain open after the last round was fired, as you pointed out in your post.
    Old Gun Guy