Savage Model 219 .22 Hornet

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Groundhog2009, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Groundhog2009

Groundhog2009 New Member

My uncle just gave a 22 Hornet that belonged to my grandfather who used it to shoot groundhogs on his farm. I plan to keep it and was just wonder as to the age and value of it. It is in good to excelent condition and probably has not be shot for 30yrs or better.

He also has what my grandfather said was WWII German Screw Barrel .410. Any idea on this, i do have pictures.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  2. Groundhog2009

Groundhog2009 New Member

Here are the pictures.

Attached Files:

3. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Welcome to TFF, Groundhog,

Savage Model 219 introduced 1938, discontinued 1965, available in 22 Hornet, 25-20. 30-30, and 32-20. According to 14th Edition of Modern Gun Values:

Exc: $425
    VGood: 395
    Good: 300

Add 20% for all calibers except 30-30.

Model 219L same as above except side-lever action. 1965-67. Values about $75 less.

Tell us more about the gun in the photo. Close-up photos of any markings would be appreciated.
  4. Groundhog2009

Groundhog2009 New Member

I have seached it the best i can, there are no markings on it what-so-ever,
    unless some disassembly is required to find them. All i know about is that my uncle received it after my grandfathers death a few years ago.

To load it you turn the barrel 1/4 turn and it comes apart where the barrel meets the hex. You load it, screw the barrel back on then use the lever to cock it.
  5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I bought a Savage 219 Hornet about 1960 Mine had the top lever opening . Later they had a side lever to open. The one I had probably took about 200 fox, a pickup load of snakes, a wild hog, a duck, badger, lots of praire dogs, wild dogs, Bobcat, squirrel(with reduced load) rabbits and probably some other critters I have forgotten. Only problems with the 219 is the fact that it will break firing pins. They are easy to replace ( I made my own and kept a spare in a hole under buttplate.
  6. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Great info Gabob, you might want to share this in the tech thread.

GROUNDHOG, Is there any indication that the gun once had a fore-stock? Did someone alter the butt-stock? I'm guessing that the gun may have been brought back from Germany following WWII, but that its much older than 1940ish.
  7. Groundhog2009

Groundhog2009 New Member

Contenderizer,

No, there is no indication that there was ever a forestock. As far a the buttstock goes, as you can see in the pictures it is in two different sections. My guess would be that someone along the line has extended it. I wish i had more information to offer. My uncle lives less than 2 miles from me so i think i will go over there Saturday and take another look at it.

Any suggestion as to what to look for and where???

This thing has really got me stumped!
  8. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

No suggestions, just take your time and look everywhere. Sadly, I doubt you will find anything. Try to learn the history of the gun and how it got in your Uncle's possession. If it was a war trophy at least you know it is likely German.

I don't like to send people away from this site, but you my want to post a photo and ask for help at: http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

These guys are 100% shotgun and know their stuff. One of them might have seen you gun in the past. PLEASE, come back to this thread and let us know what you learn. Good luck.
  9. Groundhog2009

Groundhog2009 New Member

I have just been sent in another direction. I got a response from someone on a different site and they suggested it may be a French made poaching shotgun.
  10. zb338

zb338 New Member

It certainly does look like an unusual gun. I don't know what it
    is but I owned a Savage 219 in .22 Hornet when I was a kid.
    It is on the lines of a typical break open single shot, shotgun.
    Except it was a rifle chambered for the .22 Hornet.

Zeke