Savage model .22-4.10

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Jackman, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Whats the intended purpose of a single shot breech loader Savage model .22-4.10:confused:?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That wouldn't really be a single shot, since it's a double barrel. But the purpose is to give you a choice, when hunting. If the rabbit is running, you have a better chance of getting it with a shotgun, but if it's sitting still, head-shot with a 22 does not leave little pieces of shot in the meat.

Sometimes you want a shotgun and you're carrying a rifle. Sometimes you want a rifle and you are carrying a shotgun. With a combination gun, you have both.

Plus, if you live somewhere that limits the amount of guns you can have, with just one firearm, you have two different guns.
  3. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Thanks Alpo :thumbsup: , sounds logical I found one locally probly going to buy it just cause it so unusual compared to the other guns I have.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    .410 for that difficult shot, 22 for most shots because of the extra range and the versatility/economy of shooting 22 caps, shorts, longs and LR.

The .410 also gave you that little extra punch shooting slugs if you needed a round with more authority. I love the combination. The full choke made me wonder about the advisability of shooting slugs but it turned out to be a non issue.
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Jackman, I have owned a Savage .410/.22, model 24B, for the last 46 years.
    It is the best handling gun I own, and I am serious about that. It just feels - RIGHT when I swing it up.

For instance:
    This is my gun of choice when things go bump in the night, so I keep both barrels loaded all the time. One day, my wifes cousin came out to show me how to shoot trap. He had just bought a new clay thrower, and set it up to throw out over an open field, and we took turns busting clays, him with a 12 gauge and me with my Savage. He kept expressing surprise that I was busting every bird with a .410.
    After we had been doing this a while, when it was my turn I swung up and shot - and just heard a little "pop" instead of a "Bang". The clay burst apart in the air, and checking I found that the selector button had accidentally been bumped to the UP position during handling, and I had busted that bird with a .22 LR round.
    He did not say a word; he just loaded up his thrower, birds, gun, and drove away.

Alpo is sure right; this is a near perfect field gun when you aren't sure what you may have the opportunity to bag. There is a WIDE range of ammo for both barrels, which makes this gun extremely versatile.

If it is in decent shape, BUY it! You won't be disappointed!
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

OG is right too - we doubled, and I did not see his until I had already posted. Never tried slugs in mine, but sure could -
  7. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Used one that was 20 gauge and 22 for raccoon hunting. I carried number 2 in it in case the dogs jumped a fox past us, and number 8 shot if the raccoon was in a pine where I couldn't see the eyes to get a clear shot. Just pepper it with some shot and get it to move then pop it with the 22. gun was hella ugly but super useful!
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  8. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I have one of the earlier models with the tenite stock and forearm, I enjoy it immensely.:)
  9. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Looks like I am getting it for 200 its a neat firearm yet sorta odd too kinda like an El Camino or Ranchero :rolleyes:,,, oh well one more for the gun closet..
  10. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

That is a newer model than mine,you will enjoy using it:)
  11. FW!

FW! New Member

It a great squirrel rifle, especially in semi populated areas. If they are in a tree, use the shotgun, on the ground, use the rifle. I have had one since 1964. Got a lot of squirrels with it.
  12. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Well last week I got the 22-4.10 it cleaned up rather nice it shows good aging not neglect :). I bought a box of 2.75" 4.10 shells and a clay pigeon slinger my 15 year old and I had a blast trying to shoot the clay pigeons (first timers) out of 20 shots we got two clays :eek: it was fun but we need lots of practice.

forward sight is loose but will not come out any ideas how to tighten it up?

Can I date this gun it has no serial number?

On the barrel it says 4.10 bore, 3 inch chamber:confused: what does 3 inch chamber mean in trems of buying shells?
  13. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

means you can use any of the popular 410 shells. I am a little jealous and I would like to have a 22/410 O/U. One of the best squirrel guns available.
  14. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I purchased one back in the early 60's and love it. It's everything the fellas above say it is and more. Mine has the stainless receiver and as pretty as it is user friendly!