Savage Model 23c 32-20

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mauserman454, Oct 17, 2004.

1. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

Hey Guys, check out this neat Savage Model 23c in 32-20 WCF, I picked it up locally for $225, supposedly it was made in the 1930's, and it looks near new, and the bore is pristine :D .

My Burning question is does anyone know anything about what kind of scope base would have went on this rifle. I do not belive this rifle came from the factory drilled for a scope. I belive someone had a gunsmith drill it for a side mount scope base, which was later removed. The holes are 2-3/8" apart center to center, but I have no idea what kind of base to even look for on ebay or wherever :confused:

You can see the screw plugs and the relief someone cut in the stock for the base. I need to get my hands on a base :confused:

Anyone know where I can find one???

Thanks,
    MM454

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry, www.hunt101.com is down again, will post pics later :(
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Well, there is no telling when it was drilled.

Best bet is to take the gun to a shop and check the Weaver side bases. Might have to do some creative shimming to fit.
  3. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

Thanks CountryGunsmith, I'm pretty much on my own with this one. The only local gunshop around here does not carry anything like this. They mostly cater to guys who buy assault weapons and shotguns for turkey hunting...

I did not know that weaver continues to make side mount bases. I see on www.midwayusa.com that weaver does, and they list a #2 as fitting a Savage model 23... I have a 23c, I wonder if there is any difference???

It's $9 for the base, and $21 for the side mount rings, I might order it up to try it. If it is way off I could always return it...

MM454
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

I dont have one of those bases handy or I'd measure it for you. You might contact Weaver and get the c-t-c...