Savage model 40 .22 hornet

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Shep, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Shep

Shep Member

Savage bolt actions often seem to get badmouthed as cheaply made guns. And it`s not totally unwarranted. They often have crude finish and heavy triggers, but they are also very tough and are very accurate.
    The new accu-trigger gets rid of the Lawyerized trigger pull problem. And some Savages have excellent fit and finish.

The model 40 in the pic below has a nice polished blue finish. It has a custom stock, but the original was nice enough if you like laminated stocks. I bought it used with both stocks. Original owner made the custom stock, and he is very good at it. I wish I had that kind of talent.

The rifle will shoot dime sized 3 shot groups at 100 yards off a sand bag. It`s easily a match for a good Remington 700 as far as accuracy goes.

Attached Files:

2. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Very nice shep, right now i think i have 6 savages. And a few will shoot with any of the top guns made to day. Have fun with your new toy ok.
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I like the savage rifles. As far as the little 22 hornet is concerned I have little experience w/ it but I have a savage sone up in a .308 and I love the thing. Me personally savage has been around a long time and Even if the firearms are not as refined as say some other manufacturers I still think Savage is a good firearm to have in any model.
  4. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt New Member

I love my model 40. Using Hornady 35 gr Vmax's, I can keep 30 shots in an inch and a quarter @ 100 yds.(always seem to get a few unexplained fyers). I have recently gotten some of the 30 gr Barnes VG's but have yet to load any. My first hornet was a Savage 23D bought for $100 and I stupidly sold it, it loved the S&B factory loads. Then I got an H&R handi that shot pretty good but it didn't like anything even mildly warm or wouldn't eject. I'll be keeping my M40( even if beef jerky will fit between the barrel and stock) and would like to try a CZ. I really hate I didn't get the Rem. 799 when they were available.