Savage Model 4C-

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by todd51, Apr 21, 2010.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Bob brought a neat old .22 bolt action rifle with oldest scope I have ever shot. The rifle is a Savage Model 4C- and will shoot s,l, & lr with out complaint. I don't know what brand that old scope is and am guessing it is 4X power. The mount is marked Mossburg No. 9 and has a spring loaded feature where if you bump it, it moves but comes right back to zero. The base is a home made side mounted affair that some one spent a lot of time with a vise and a big hammer but the end result is pretty nice and sure does the job.

No target photos as Bob already had it zeroed at 100yds. and proved it by blasting two inch wood blocks off the 100 yd. stand as long as someone would walk down there and set them up

Quite a shock to look through that old scope after looking through my 18X BSA but it is clear as a bell and if you can hold that old rifle and scope combo would sure hit.

Lots of fun with another old timer rifle and old friends.

View attachment 35908
    View attachment 35909
    View attachment 35910
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice shooting, older Stevens rifle. Alot of those older .22's they really knew how to make them. That scope on the gun is something else. Ive never seen one like that before.
    But it's a NICE setup!
    I had an old WesternField that shot .22 S, L and LR and that gun was highly accurate and would reach out there a ways. And wish I still had it.

But that scope is really neat.
  3. G-Mann

G-Mann Member

That is one nice combo! It's nice to have an older gun and scope like the one you own. If it was mine, I would never sell it. Keep it in the family.
  4. wpage

wpage Active Member

Those old classic .22 are keepers. Somewhat clunky but accurate and reliable.
  5. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Sweet setup! The Savage Model 4C is pre war vintage based on the checked PG stock. looks like it's in nice shape.
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve, that old Savage is a family hand-me-down but Bob doesn't know any particulars about it's history prior to his possession of it. Any idea what the story is on that scope is? The mount is marked Mossburg No. 9 but didn't see any markings on the scope it's self.
  7. steve99f

steve99f New Member

todd51,

According to Nick Stroebel's old scope book and what he writes regarding Mossberg scopes and mounts, Mossberg sold scopes and mounts together so it is likely that the scope is a Mossberg scope. Your pictures and the old catalogue cuts copied into the book indicate a very similar design. Adjustments in the mount, not the scope. Someone on the mossberg board at rimfire central would know for sure.
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve.