Savage Model 6A

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wsas7816, Nov 12, 2011.

1. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

Greetings All! Can anyone provide some advice/information about a Savage Model 6A (.22 LR semi-automatic also branded as a Stevens and perhaps Springfield)? I have not shot this rifle in 30+ years though it is in good shape. It was my fathers and I believe he acquired it during the Korean War or shortly afterwards. He did not fire it much either. It has a tendency to jam and it seems quite heavy for its caliber. I recall it being slow to cycle. All told, not that much fun. I have not started to dismantle it because I seem to recall some spring issues (or something shoots out the back if done in the wrong sequence). So I am hoping to prevent an “emergency” post to this board by asking for any thoughts regarding proper dismantling procedures (perhaps a pdf schematic?) and advice on the jamming issue. And, does anyone have one and like it? Thanks!
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

You'd have to define 'jamming.' Failures to feed into the chamber are usually a combination of chamber mouth out of round due to dryfiring, the bumper (which requires removal of the barrel to replace) and the magazine guide/lifter. Failure to extract is generally the right-side extractor.

That said, on any .22 semiauto, step one is a detailed strip/clean.

[​IMG]

Remove the tube magazine and cycle the action numerous times, then visually inspect the chamber. Remove the takedown screw from the bottom of the stock to separate the stock from the barrelled action.

Unscrew the recoil plug (8) from the rear of the receiver. Remove the striker assembly (55 and attached parts) to the rear. The firing pin (51) holds the bolt handle (6) in, so one the firing pin is removed the bolt handle can come out and the bolt (87) can be removed to the rear. Assembly is in reverse order.

Pay attention to the cartridge guide spring (31), the lifter spring (61) and the bumper (73). Those and the magazine guide (71) are the big culprits on failures to feed from the magazine into the chamber.

We have literally every part for this series of rifle, both original and new replacement parts. We would also be happy to take care of a complete detail clean, inspection, and returning the rifle to operating condition if you'd like. Use the Private Message feature of this forum for estimated costs.
  3. kmprillaman

kmprillaman New Member

I have model 6A that would not chamber. Try cleaning the barrel and chamber with oil and a bore brush. It may need to be tore down and cleaned. If you do, the bolt will not come out until the spring and firing pin are removed.