Savage Model 99 in .300 Takedown made in 1927 I think.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MyMonkey, Aug 5, 2009.

1. MyMonkey

MyMonkey New Member

Let me first start with the fact that I love the classic firearms. :) I have just picked up a Savage Model 99 (Or 1899, can't tell) Take down version in .300 Savage. I ran the serial number 300025 through savage99.com and it shows a 1927 manufacture date. Seller thought it was made in the 1960's. I am not certain either way. Bore looks great but the action sticks a bit when returning to battery at the very end of cycle. Needs some blueing as well.

I will be taking it to a gunsmith for some work but I wanted to have an idea of value before I go dumping a ton of money into the rifle. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The value depends on the condition. Yours appears to be a Model 99A and the condition seems to be around 80%. This gives it a ballpark value of $525, not counting the scope, which looks to be a nice Leupold. This could add around $200 to the value.
  3. MyMonkey

MyMonkey New Member

Thanks for the reply. I think the scope is a Weaver K-4. I can't see the name as it is under the ring but it does say El Paso Tex. Steel tube design. With Buehler base. That gives me some room to breath with a gunsmith. :D
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The gold ring around the front of the scope is the trademark of Leupold.
  5. MyMonkey

MyMonkey New Member

I suppose that makes sense. I figured it was just worn to the point that it looks gold/brass.

I dropped her off at a local gunsmith today. It will take a few weeks but he should be able to get it in top shape. Thanks again.
  6. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

The scope is a Weaver with the blackening agent worn off the brass end cap. Problem is the rifle should not be drilled and tapped, as it was not originally. This will decrease it value some what as a collector.
    Regards, Kirk
  7. MyMonkey

MyMonkey New Member

Doh.. Had no idea. Thank you for the information. I just hope the gunsmith is able to get it working again.
  8. Archie

Archie Member

Great rifles for using, too.
    If you re-blue it, all the collector value is gone.

I've always wanted one of those.
  9. MyMonkey

MyMonkey New Member

Really? Glad I found that out. :) I should have known I suppose. THanks.

Got word from the gunsmith today that she is ready to be picked up. He went over the action and everything. Can't wait to get it back. :D