Savage model 99? with pic

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jackman, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Take downs are more desirable as less were made this way, and they were a higher cost gun when new....However if they are worn at the barrel threads, this may not be the case. Is yours fully threaded (newer) or does it have the interupted (older)take down threads?

Regards, Kirk
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

With regard to the takedown question, I think it is a question of which model and was it standard or a special order option.

For instance, a Model 1899 H in 22 HP was available in both configurations, solid frame and takedown. Solid frames are rarer and more valuable for equal condition.

Solid frame rifles could be ordered as a takedown back in the day. Definitely worth more.

The pre war Model 99 F's and G's were only available in takedown.

This feature was not resurrected after WW II.
  3. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

OK Jackman.......here is what that 'little opening' should look like when the rifle is cleaned up. The gun shown is of 1922 manufacture. It is also a take-down model. On the bottom of the barrel you should see something of this sort.....and there should be a 'witness' mark on the receiver and your barrel to show proper alignment when replacing the barrel. Not sure of your date of mfg. but your barrel may have interrupted threads as they changed to that at a date subsequent to the mfg. date of mine. Mike
    P.S. This gun is marked on the receiver top only as "Savage 1899 Model".
    P.P.S. Your rifle may also (I think it should) have an indicator that shows when the rifle is cocked. It's a little pin that protrudes above the rear of the receiver....as shown. This is NOT a loaded chamber indicator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

The take down model was also made in a two barrel version, one barrel in a rimmed cartridge, and the other for the .410 shotshell. Finding one with the original case is a rarity.
    There was a uber rare Military Musket version w/bayonet issued to the RCMP for sale on the auctions a while back. A Holy Grail for collectors!
  5. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Trap55,

The musket model was sold in Canada but not to the RCMP. The Montreal Home Guard bought them. They are rare and valuable as are the bayonets.

You have to watch out with those cased sets, more than a few put togethers. A customer could buy the .410 barrel separately. They operate as single shots when using the 410 barrel.
  6. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Wow thank you all this is a great thread learning a lot :cool:, I give the 99 another round with steel wool and oil just to see if it will improve any, is anyone up on what type wood Savage might have used for the stock? My stock is cery dark and the wood grain hardly shows its very dull and appears to have a coating of filth that will not come off with a light soap and water.....
  7. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Mike,

Good pics thanks :cool:, my 99 is the same as in the top two pics . the bottom pic appears a little different with that raised metal piece in front of the cocked hammer indicator (which mine also has) , in regards to the TD barrel how tight should it be, those threads look very course and durable and not likely to strip I am thinking of a shot of PB Blaster to loosen mine up just to make the TD feature functional... I also noticed the forwrd stock is numbered too with the last four of the serial number am I assuming too much that the rear stock is also numbered in the same manner? I might take the rear stock off in an attempt to clean it up a little better...

8. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Jackman: That raised metal piece on the receiver behind the cocked hammer indicator is the front end of a Lyman tang sight. The barrel is on hand tight...strongly hand tight, but I can remove it without tools. The stock should be oil finished American walnut. Mine is walnut but has been varnished sometime in the distant past. The tang sight is set for 200 yds., the standard sights are on at 100. I dickered for over 2 years with a friend that knew I wanted this rifle......it came (finally) with an early 'Leg-of-Mutton' TD case. The old thing isn't a show piece, but it is a shooter. It's chambered in .300 Savage. I'm left handed so I use only lever guns to hunt with. Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. muddober

muddober Active Member

Some one correct me if I am wrong, but my recollection is that the forearm has a slot in it that the lug on the barrel fits into making a wrench out of the forearm to unscrew the barrel. But again as Steve99f said the action must be open.

Ron

PS: Grandpawmike, you probably already know this but that is a very cool collection of various cartridges and shot gun shells, those old boxes of shotgun shells brought back some memories. Thank you for sharing.
  10. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Muddobber, that's right, the idea was to use the forearm to unscrew the barrel. This use can't be good for the forearm.

Steve
  11. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Mike This thread is turning into the Holy Grail of info Wow :D, The Lyman site is the same as one on my Winchester model 63 although I did not know it was a Lyman so a big thanks on that :cool:, also I see there was a carrying case for the 99 another I did not know and its quite possible that the one that goes with my 99 (Grand Dads old 99) is still around and with your pic I just might find it as I am sure that no one in my family would know what that strange looking case was made for...

My stocks were darker than yours with zero shine just plan filthy even after a lot of warm water and soap but tonight I had success Murphy's oil soap , Oxy Wash and warm water and a 45 min rub down I now have wood grain and a much lighter stock another rub down tomorrow will be the final and then an oil or something to really bring out the wood grain. Glad you got the 99 from your friend I know that wanting feeling had a hankering for my 99 for 10 years before I finally got it......
  12. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Had that Idea in mind too , the slot looks a lot like a 3/8 or smaller female square but where does it fit to remove the barrel ?
  13. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Jackman, the quick answer is......it doesn't. That square notch aligns with a corresponding one in the receiver when the barrel is properly installed. The stud on the metal portion of the forend matches the slot and locks the barrel in position so that it cannot turn after installation of the forend. The forend cannot be installed if the two notches do no align. Mike
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  14. langenc

langenc Member

If you are talking about the shoulder stock, esp near the reciever the wood is probably saturated w/ run down oil. Oil that has rundown thru the action, from the barrel, into the stock. Many shooters cleaned after each shooting and left a few drops of iol to run down as it sat in the corner or the rack.

Rule about the cartridge counters-clean w/ qtip etc but NEVER disasemble that split nut-it will never function again-without a knowledgable gunny adjusting.
  15. steve99f

steve99f New Member

There is a material called "whiting" that will draw out oil from wood. It works. There are some substitutes for it that I can't recall. If the wrist and side panels are oil soaked and dark, I would definitely try to get the oil out. The wood is weakened by oil and in a 1899 or 99 this area of the butt stock is NOT where you do not want weak wood. Tang cracks may result. However, if the whole butt stock is dark and it doesn't look lile oil, leave it alone would be my advice. Some dark walnut did come out of the factory.