Savage or Marlin?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by greg baker, Nov 9, 2007.

1. greg baker

greg baker New Member

Hello everyone, new to the forum.

In the market for a new .22 lr... have been researching for several weeks now & have narrowed down to these three:

Savage Mk II
    Marlin 925
    Marlin 60

Have very slight leanings toward a bolt action (generally speaking, less problems with feeding rounds), but the Marlin 60 has a pile of good reviews out there, I love it's look, and I put several hundred rounds through a buddies with no jams- so it's still in the mix.

My three main criteria are, in order of preference:

reliability
    out-of-the-box accuracy
    ease of maintenance

I'm pretty good about keeping my firearms clean, but I don't baby them during use. Have no use for a weapon I'd be afraid to "drag through the bushes". It'll be used for small game hunting & target shooting (informal).

Interested in all feedback, but especially from those who have experience with at least two of those models & can better compare/contrast them vs. my criteria.

Thanks,

Greg Baker
  2. 882ssv

882ssv New Member

I probably won't be much help but for the price the Marlin and Savage are hard to beat! I own a marlin 22 mag that shoots under an inch at 100yds all day long and its a bolt gun and for most hunting it's one shot one kill for small game but my dad hunts rabbits and foxes with a browning 22 auto and always gets them sitting still one shot and running 2 shots, so depeding on how and what you hunt would determine what you need. If one shot is all ya need get a bolt but there are time a second quik follow up shot would be great! As for marlin or savage, I am a Marlin fan but Savage shoot just as good or better. It took alot of round threw my 882ssv to shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100yds but my cousins savage 22mag did the same right out of the box. You have to find out what ammo your rifle likes and shoot it!!

Good luck! I believe you can't make a wrong choice!
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Ditto! Can't really go wrong. Maybe the one that is more comfortable to the shoulder/neck & wrist. :)

Break it in w/ about 5 different brands of ammo & find the one that shoots best. Have fun! :)
  4. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

I currently have a Savage model 93 22 mag Bull barrel, just goot done putting a Boyd thumbhole stock on it. Very accurate gun. Also have a marlin bolt action which is about 25 years old that continues to be a great shooter. Had a Marlin semi auto but sold it to a friend accurate shooter only problem I've ever had with it is it was very particular about ammo. Some of the regualr stuff would jamb but any of the hotter loads would fire smoothly. Can't go wrong with either brand as far as I'm concerned.
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

You'll never regret buying a Marlin Model 60.
  6. greg baker

greg baker New Member

Thanks a bunch guys, really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I'm on the right trail with any of the three models.

Really like the Marlin levers as well (have a soft spot for lever actions), but a bit pricey at this point. This will, for all intents & purposes, be a triple purchase. My oldest son will get one for Christmas, and I'll get another. He wants one in the worst way, and is ready after a couple years of bb-gun training. He also insists that Dad should shoot with him, but all of Dad's current guns require ammo that is too expensive to shoot by the hundred! Even my pet muzzleloader. My youngest will get a bb-gun, and probably graduate to the .22 lr some time next year. Of course, it'll have to be just like the one his Dad & brother got!