Savage question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by lead, Dec 1, 2008.

1. lead

lead Active Member

The local shop got in a bolt action Savage. It is in a green stock that, I assume, is aftermarket because I've never seen another like it. It's got a rough texture to it, with black speckles mixed in it. It's a Savage bolt and receiver, but the barrel is unmarked,except for "308" stamped on the left side, by the receiver. The finish on the barrel also has a rough feel in places, like it was done with a brush.
    Now, I've always heard good things about Savage barrels, so I wonder if this is a replacement barrel, and how did someone manage to need to replace their barrel?
    BTW, there are no sights on the barrel, it does have bases and rings on it though.
    I could probably get this for somewhere between $200-225. My question is, would you feel confident in a gun with some obvious changes made to it? Or, should I steer clear, save a little more, and buy a better example of a good bolt gun?
  2. lead

lead Active Member

Well, you guys are no help at all;) I was hoping someone would talk me out of this. Instead, I went back to the shop, and of 4 rifles i was looking at, 3 were sold in one afternoon. The savage was still there, but two guys were looking at it. When they didn't buy it, I decided to put money down on it.
    I'll hold it till after Christmas, then call it a present to myself.
    With all the panic out there, and who knows what the economy will do, a good solid bolt gun in .308 seems to make sense. Lots of cheap practise ammo out there, lots of good hunting rounds. And I was able to lock in to a price of $215.OTD.
    Now i just have to hope Santa brings me a good scope for Christmas. Is it too late to start being good?
  3. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Worse come to worse, if it doesn't shoot well, put a new barrel on it. It would suck, but from what I can see and have read, barrels are fairly cheap and easy to replace. I don't see why it wouldn't shoot well though.
  4. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I looked alittle more at the prices. It can cost whatever you want it to cost. A little or insanely too much.