Savage Sporter 23B .25/20

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 2, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

northkind
    (1/7/03 5:39:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Savage Sporter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope you can help us out. My husband has inherited a Savage Sporter 25 20 rifle and suspect it may be valuable. Its in excellent condition and would like to learn more about it. I can't seem to find any info online about it.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/7/03 5:51:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Savage Sporter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome, Northkind -

We'll need a little more information, if you will.

Model number

First three numbers of the serial number, with the remaining numbers shown as: 123xxxx

Condition of firearm, i.e., amount of blueing left, condition of stock - gouges, nicks, cuts, scratches, etc. Most conditions are graded with a firearm in mint, factory new as 100%, no stock damage and slight blueing wear at 95%, normal blueing wear and small normal storage dings on stock at 85 - 90%. A rifle that's been well used with normal wear and tear from years of hunting will usually be in the 60% range.

Does it have a fancy grade of walnut, standard grade, or some other hardwood stained to walnut color?

Any more info you can provide will be most useful.

"Keep Off The Ridgeline"

northkind
    (1/7/03 7:58:30 pm)
    Well, I didn't have any luck finding a serial number. It's condition would probably be 90% or more. It's clip is missing though. Not sure about the quality of wood. Has a butt plate of indian with raised rifle "Savage Quality trade mark".
    On the barrel.. "Manurfactured by Savage Arms Corp, Utica NY
    patened Nov 28 1905 Sept 7 1915 Sept 4 1917 Nov 20 1917 SAVAGE SPORTER". Closer by the bolt..."25-20-SAFE". I hope this gives you enough information to go by. Look forward to hearing from you again.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/7/03 10:42:58 pm)
    I can find no listing for a Savage bolt action rifle chambered for the 25-20 Winchester cartridge. The earliest bolt action centerfire rifle listed is the Model 1920 which began mfg. in 1920 and ended in 1931. However, it was only chambered in .250 Savage and .300 Savage. Be aware, unless the firearm is complete in original condition the value decreases (missing magazine).

You may be able to trace the history of this particular rifle by contacting:

Mr. John Callahan
    Older Savage Arms Historical Research
    53 Old Quarry Rd.
    Westfield, Ma. 01085

There is a small fee for the researching and providing of any found information.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

northkind
    (1/7/03 11:06:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks for your help.
    I plan to write to Mr. Callahan and appreciate your help. Do you or anyone reading this know where one might locate a magazine?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/8/03 12:52:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks for your help.
    Try: www.GunParts.com

Or use the Google Search at the bottom of this forum to search for Savage Model 20 Magazine. (Providing, of course, that's the model of your rifle!)
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/8/03 2:44:43 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Thanks for your help.
    I have contacted Mr. Callohan by phone about a 100 year old shotgun I have and found him to be friendly and well worth the time involved to communicate with him.

At one time Stevens was the largest firemars manufacuter in the world and when Savage bought them there were Stevens guns that were made with the Stevens name and the Savage name or one or the other. Might want to research this as a Stevens if the Savage route does not turn up anything.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/8/03 8:47:24 am)
    Hi Northkind.....welcome to TFF.

I believe that your Savage Sporter is the Model 23B. Bolt-action, 5-shot box magazine. Made in .25-20 from 1923 to 1942.

Value:

80% = $90
    90% = 100
    95% = 110
    98% = 140

You can get a magazine here for $32.00: www.dktcoltd.com/gun_maga..._clips.htm

Edited by: Xracer at: 1/8/03 9:03:18 am

northkind
    (1/11/03 5:46:02 pm)
    Thanks to the fellows of the TFF Staff. I just thought I would check back on my message...only to find you've provided more help and the exact answer to my question. That is wonderful. I sure do appreciate it. Thanks again!!!
  2. Ron S.

Ron S. New Member

Appears that you have been able to get lots of help in the research of your Savage Sporter 23B. I have a 23A Sporter (22 cal.), and found the evasive serial number on my rifle stamped on the stock under the butt plate. Hope this helps you. Ron
  3. william j kraynick

william j kraynick New Member

if you are intrested in selling the savage 23 b i would like to purchase it my father had one and my brother sold it contact me at willy816@comcast.net
  4. Joanne

Joanne New Member

I have inherited a Savage Sporter that was my father's. It sounds similar to the one described earlier as to dates and markings, but on this one it is identified as 32-20-SAFE (instead of 25-20-SAFE). The magazine says 25-20 or 32-20 (both written just like that). The serial number under the butt plate is 32493. Can anyone tell me any more about this gun? My 12 year old son has discovered target shooting and he seems to have my dad's "deadeye shot". Can I still buy appropriate ammo for this gun and is it safe? My dad was born in 1925 and was the last of six boys who may have used it before him. It has a good amount of wear but appears in pretty good shape. Thanks
  5. mark clark

mark clark New Member

I inherited a model 23B fro my grandfather. The gun is drilled and tapped on the receiver for what I was told by a local gunsmith for a peep sight. I would appreciate any information concerning where I might find a Savage peep sight to put on the gun. So far, I have turned up nothing.
  6. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I've had a Savage 23b in 25-20 for years, it's a great little rifle, and accurate as it can be. Would like to find one in 32-20!
  7. TreyW

TreyW New Member

I have been trying to find the worth of my Savage Sporty for a long time now and the post here have helped some what.
    I found this riffle in a remote village in Alaska and it's been well used. The butt has a hand-made 1.5" wooden extension nailed into it so I'm sure that kills the value from what I read. I have no idea what "bluing" is so I can't tell you much about that but the riffling looks good. I'm not a gun person...

The clip says Savage Sporter 25-20 or 32-20 in great working condition.
    To the right of the bolt action is the numbers 99717
    On top of the barrel is written:
    Savage Sporter manufactured by savage arms corp. UTICA, NY USA
    Patented Nov. 28 1905 Sep.7 1915 Sep. 4 1917 Nov. 20 1917

These are all the writings I can find. I have taken it to 2 local gun shops and neither can find it in their books but it always gets lots of attention. And I'm getting the same answer to my question of "Whats it worth?"... "I'll give ya $50 buck for it."

Can you help me out at all? I can always send pictures if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Trey in Alaska
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

To answer a couple of questions brought up here, the 25-20 and 32-20 use the same case, so the magazine will work for either, as indicated on the side of the magazine. Both 25-20 and 32-20 ammo is available commercially, but is hard to find in shops and is expensive. Prices on Savage rifles are pretty much dependant on the area you are in. Some areas of the country like Savages, others, don't respect them.

Trey, I knew a fellow in Alaska, briefly in the middle to late 60s, who worked for RCA, He was a Jr. and named his son the same, and callled him Trey. Unfortunately, it has been so long that I am not calling his name back to mind. Just curious. :D

Pops
  9. TreyW

TreyW New Member

Thanks for the information about the riffle. Is there a way to find out what model it is and when is was made? The gun shops I have visited can not find it in any of their books and I obviously can't find it on line...

Well I am the 3rd and why I'm named Trey but I'm not the same guy. My father has never lived here in Alaska or worked for RCA. My family and I came here in 1991 via USAF after serving in Desert Shield/Storm.

Thanks

Trey
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Just thought the coincidence was too much to ignore. :D Thanks for the response.

Pops
  11. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I also have a Savage Sporter .32-20 rifle that has been in my family for a long time. My father used it for his first hunting rifle as a kid and I was given this gun as my first hunting rifle when I was ten. It has taken down many a whitetail deer. It has been very well taken care of, still has good blueing on it, has a great little peep scope, still has the clip and the stock is really in good shape. I would, however, like to know it's worth. It is probably at least 80 yrs. old or more. Thanks for any information anyone might be able to provide!
  12. metalrat4225

metalrat4225 New Member

I have a Savage 23B in 25-20 I bought 20 years ago, it had a Field scope mount and though the bore was good, it had pitting in the chamber. Had it reamed out to a 'improved' 25-20 and it shoots very well!. 60gn at 2400fps, 75gn at 2100 and 87 at 2000fps. I usually resize new 32-20 cases as they are cheaper and easier to get? It has accounted for numerous vermin, plus feral goats, pigs, foxes and lots of rabbits. I have no mag so can load the projies out to 'just' off the rifling, accuracy is excellent and the first shot usually goes right where it is aimed!.
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Metalrat, a couple of things to keep in mind on that "Improved" 25-20

32-20 and 25-20 brass is relatively thin. Watch for pressure signs at the base, near the rim when loading things upward.

32-20 brass necked down to 25-20 will have a thicker neck than was originally intended. This almost never causes a problem, unless your brass stretches out to an interference fit in the chamber. Rare, but it has happened twice that I'm aware of.

There is still some old 32-20 and 25-20 brass floating about that is balloon head. If you are using only new brass, you are just fine. If buying from an unknown source, check the heads carefully. The balloon heads will not take modern pressures. They were intended only for the black powder loads.

Last item: Welcome to the forum. :D

Pops
  14. PetahW

PetahW New Member

Savage made an entire line of the Model 23 rifles, which are basically utility rimfires.

The M23A = .22lr (1923-33)
    The M23AA = .22lr speedlock/checkered (1933-42)
    The M23B = .25.20 (1923-42)
    The M23C = .32.20 (1923-42)
    The M23D = .22 Hornet (1933-47)

Their values are also similar, being in the $400 +/- for 100% condition, down to $100 for one in 60% original condition.

15. BillyP.

BillyP. New Member

I bought a Savage Sporter in .25-20 not all that long ago. I am very impressed with its accuracy. I plan to reload for it and have gotten most of the components needed. I plan to use Herc 2400 under a 60 gr softpoint. Has anyone else loaded using Herc 2400 over heavier bullets for the .25-20? I see several people wondering how much their sporters are worth. Most gun shops here will give you next to nothing, yet turn around and sell them for hundreds. I think they all have value, no matter what condition. I have seen them sold for almost $500. After seeing its accuracy, energy delivered, and examining recovered bullets, I wouldn't let mine go for any price. I know they are simple, no frills rifle, yet in my opinion that is what makes them a great collectable/ shooter.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010