Savage Sporter 23B .25/20

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Geoffrey B. Barker

Geoffrey B. Barker New Member

Steve - Thanks on the data. I am leaning towards the 60 gr bullet to get the vel up for varmint application and paper fun at 100 yds. That twist was probably in the Win 92?(to which this this cart was designed for) The 1:14 seems slow and may be better applied to the lighter bullets. So Ill start with the 60. Handloader has several issues that cover the 25-20 as well as a neat "bullet dia to weight to twist required" table to reference.

The castbullet idea I put down due to working with the smallish 257 bullet and cost of gas checks with unknowns of the results in my barrel. also donĀ“t expect to use the gun that much. Its sister 23D in 22 Hornet wears a Lyman 10X target spot glass and I rate it a 150 yd pleasant chuck gun.

Jeff
  2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Jeff,

That twist is the same as used for the 250-3000Sav. It will stabilize the heavier bullets. The shorter the better though.
  3. Geoffrey B. Barker

Geoffrey B. Barker New Member

Hi Steve

I agree with you on the scope. That Stoeger 1939 reprint shows it as a Mossberg "No.RF1 Automatic Range Finder Scope Sight, 4 Power $10.45". In the deccription is "Set the camplate on top of the scope so the two horizontal wires have the objective between them, the scope is set automatically for elevation". I see two access plates on top about 2 1/2" apart but there is a convertional cross hair inside with the wards mount having the Elev and wind. adj turrets. I have no idea how the cam plates work and hope to only have to use the turrets.

My 23B is 1:14 twist based on several cleaning rod calulations. That chart I mentioned is for flat base round nose bullets. Using the chart, for .257" bullet dia and 1:14" indicates bullets should ideally be .70" to .72" OAL. Not having any 25WCF slugs here I presume the 86 gr is best (closer to this OAL bullet). I did mic a picture of a Hornady s 60 gr and I figure its about .465" OAL. If so the chart indicates a .257" slug .465" OAL is best in a 1:22" twist. I believe the pros would say the 1:14 would overstabilize but be OK as at the low vel of the cart the slug should not "fly apart". Bullets longer / heavier than .72" would start to be "inaccurate" due to understab in the 1:14". The bolt actioned 25WCF may be limited by the 86 gr being the longest avail with the other sleek bullets would be to long to fit in a magazine and / or protrude into the powder space.

Do you have the OAL specs of the 86 gr and 75 gr bullets suited for the 25WCF so I can gin up a components order?

For powder I am leaning to H4227. Hodg #26 (1992) "I think" may indicate that for a 86 gr X.Xgr H4227 is max for 1550fps in a 20" bbl. Going back to my Lyman #45 they show X.X gr I4227 for 1713 fps is the max. Both have the starting loads for load development.
    An article indicates the 86 gr is capable of just under 1800 fps. As well as being capable of up to 25000psi since it was develpoed after the black powder era. The H4227 is also best for my 22 Hornet.

I look forward to shooting the .25 WCF, like the stock Hornet, at the modest but adequate vels it was designed for.

Jeff
  4. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Hi Jeff,

I don't have OAL numbers specific to the 25-20. I do have a sheet for those 257 bullets I have or had. PM me your email and I'll send it to you. The Hornady 60 grainer measured 0.52 inches nominal.

There is a formula for figuring out twist rate based on caliber, Greenhill's formula. Google that, you should find it.