Savage Sporter

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by redhawk44, Oct 20, 2003.

1. redhawk44

redhawk44 New Member

I have a Savage Sporter in 22 Long Rifle that is in just excellent condition.

The only thing I can see about it that is not original is a pair of QD sling swivels. Also, the clip, while being an original Savage clip, shows signs of having been inserted and removed from the gun many times (blue worn) unlike the rest of the gun.

This one simply says "Sporter" on the side and is not designated as a 23-A or a 23-AA. I have not seen one of these that were not marked 23 on the side.

Serial number range is 1155XX.

Comments?
  2. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome to TFF redhawk44!!! Thanks for the help on the Unertl Scope also! (If I do decide to sell it, i'll let the folks here know first)...I'll look around and see what I can find out about your rifle...;)
  3. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Hiya Redhawk44, I see that the 23A is a plain pistol grip and the 23AA is the improved version with a speedlock and checkered stock. I hope this helps.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Redhawk.....welcome to TFF.

I'm wondering if your Savage might not be a Model 1922....which immediately preceeded the Model 23. It was a sporter variation of the Model 19 NRA. It had a sporter style stock with a schnabel forend, and looks much like a Model 23 Sporter. It was introduced in 1922 and discontinued in 1923 when the Model 23 came out.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Hello Redhawk.

Welcome to TFF. Hope you will visit and post often. We have a good bunch of knowledgable guys and gals here.
  6. redhawk44

redhawk44 New Member

Thanks to all for the nice welcome.

I did not know about the model 1922. Perhaps that is what I have here. In any event it is close enough to what my old dad used to shoot that I will settle for it.

When I was about 4 years old, the old man took me out on the porch and told me how to line up the sights and then placed the barrel over the back of a chair and let me take a shot at a steel fence post.

I hit it.

The old man started to crow about what helluva shot I was and I was hooked as a shooter for life. That was about 62 years ago and it remaines one of the most pivotal moments in my life. I think the smart folks call it "positive reinforcement" or some such a thing.