Savage Stevens 14 1/2 "Little Scout"

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by FloridaFialaFan, Oct 29, 2009.

1. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

I recently acquired this old timer along with an interesting story about it. This model was produced only from 1911 to 1941 making this one nearly 70 years old. I bought it sight unseen (only a photo and BRIEF description) from an online auction out of St. Augustine, about 45 miles up the coast.

The auctioneer's daughter had to visit a town just down the coast from us and offered to deliver it to me. When I removed it from the gun sock it was stored in, my jaw must have hit my chest when I got my first look at it.

If I didn't know better I could have sworn it came off the assembly line yesterday! This little guy is pristine! The original protective paper still adheres to the metal buttplate! There is not a mark or wear spot on this gun ANYWHERE. It must grade at NRA EXC. (99+%). See photos below.

The daughter said the consignor told them he inherited the gun from his Dad 30years ago and it had sat in his gun safe unfired those three decades. He also said he did not think his Dad had ever fired the rifle. I'm inclined to believe his story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the sharp definition in the screw slots, and in the slot of the big takedown bolt on bottom. Check the depth of the various stampings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully one of you experts will be able to tell me what this little guy might bring on the market today if properly advertised.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  2. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I am not privy to any recent sales to use a comps, but the books say about $400 in excellent condition. Yours, as you say, is near perfect, so go from there.
  3. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

Thanks, Contenderizer. I have both Blue Book and Krause's Standard Catalog, but both are older editions. They show that figure from back then so hopefully it's gone up some since then.

Just got off line from watching the online live auction from Schmit's Auction out in NE. The prices these "boys' rifles" were bringing proves they have gone up! Glad I got mine early...

However, I managed to win the one .22rf single shot handgun I wanted. When it's in hand I'll do up a post of it. It's a Big Horn made out in UT. Only 1200 made in late 1960s.

[​IMG]

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  4. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Number 141 looks very, very interesting. Keep us informed.
  5. The Grizz

The Grizz New Member

I was given a model 14-1/2 little scout by a friend. but the firing pin is seized. does anyone know how to fix this problem, or somewhere that a replacement drop-pin can be purchased?
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

7. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

probably just needs a good cleaning,,
    unless it is bent !