Saving for my next toy, but which to buy?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by rentalguy1, Oct 13, 2009.

1. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

I got back into firearms about a year ago. I am building a collection, but not for investment purposes. This is a collection of firearms that I just want. I just bought a Taurus PT1911, and I love it. Now I am saving for my next toy. I am just not sure if I want to get a AR-15 or a AK-47. I will eventually end up with both, but which should I be looking for first? The one that I can find the best deal on?
  2. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I just bought a Kel-Tec RFB, it's a beast.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

When you have the money together, buy whatever good deal you find! Since you aren't looking specifically for one or the other, I think this would be your best bet.
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Don't answer this 'out-loud' - but if you don't have one, a good Gunsafe!
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

After renewing my long dormant interest in fire arms I went the route you are following. Now that I've had more time to consider my choices I wish I would have waited and saved my money for a more worthy acquisition in the form of a Springfield Armory M1A. You can opt for any configuration that rings your chimes but you will be getting a true battle rifle that is much more versatile than the two choices you mentioned.

The M1A will shoot further with more accuracy and deliver a much more deadly round (my opinion only) much more reliably.
  6. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I have an NM M1A with a wood stock I really like. I don't think it is well suited to scope mounting but other than that it is just ducky. In retrospect I would not have gotten the NM version.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Why not the Nation Match model?
    I think a scope on it would be awesome too, a Mk84 adds that battle ready look to them.

Rental - as far as your next gun, have you seen the Sig556 Classic??? They're sweet!!!
  8. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

You should buy which ever one is at the top of Obama's list of things to ban.That's what i would do get the one you want now,later might be to late.
  9. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

I'm no fan of the man, and I can't wait until he is out of office, but I have yet to see any legislation banning any types of weapons or ammo. I've heard all kinds of internet buzz about this and that, but about 99% of it has been debunked. Will he eventually do something? Most likely, but as of now there's nothing. This is exactly why it is harder than hades to get ammo right now. Maybe I should just go buy about 500 AR's because he may ban something. Then everyone could get mad at BHO because the price of AR's is up to $5000/each....sheesh
  10. DogRanger

DogRanger New Member

Decide what job you need to do and get the right tool for it.
  11. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

We're seeing it up here,anything that is classed as a mil spec round is getting harder to get because alot of it is on the NATO small arms pact.
  12. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

The M1A is heavy and a steel scope mount makes it a lot heavier. I have read that the aluminum mount is not durable. I don't think it is an ideal candidate for scope mounting. The SA White Feather rifle I think mounts a scope without making the gun too much heavier. So you are left with an open sighted gun. An NM rifle should shoot a couple inches at 100, a standard rifle, 4 inches or so. With an open sighted gun firing offhand, prone and sitting you have to be a heck of a marksman to tell the difference. So there is no particular advantage for the average shooter in the NM version. The disadvantage is that with the glass bedded stock the gun is not easy to assemble and disassemble and it's recommended that it not be done any more than absolutely necessary. And of course the NM is more expensive. If you want something really accurate get one of the rear lugged guns. Again, not something the average shooter needs.
  13. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Think hard on some reloading equipment. Also the safe is a very good idea.
  14. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

The AR will be for tactical "shoot-n-scoot." The AK would be for taking out stationary paper targets, or zombies...whichever one presents itself. Which ever one I buy first, the other will come a few months later. As far as a safe goes, I plan on building a storage cabinet in my basement to hold all guns, ammo, reloading components and equipment, and accessories.
  15. army mp

army mp Member

It funny how much things change in ones life time. Now if you collect guns. You keep it secrete. And use money that once would have gone to a nice weapon and scope. To Buy a heavy duty safe and Alarm system. As a boy I would go to friends or families homes. Most everyone. Displayed their weapons in Some beautiful wooden glass front gun cabinets. They were more show cases of trophies, than gun lockers.
  16. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Army, I agree. I used to have one of those cabinets and even had a couple hanging on my wall. Not anymore......
  17. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Rentalguy, I sent you a pm....
  18. ToolsForPros

ToolsForPros New Member

The AK47 will be way heavier to tote around (if you are just going to sit and look at it, that's fine :) ), also the 7.62 ammo is more expensive than the 5.56 for the AR. You can buy more "cooler" toys for the AR than the AK and get your tacticool goin.

Let us know what you get!
  19. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

I just saw a billboard for the fall gun show today. It's going to be Oct 31-Nov 1st. Looks like I may end up getting something sooner than I thought. I wonder if I will be able to find a reloading rig there? Something is telling me I'll be dropping a bunch of $$ that weekend.
  20. glocknut

glocknut New Member

+1

I've heard those Kel Teks are pretty darn good for the money!

mike
    gn