The Firearms Forum banner

Saving Private Ryan, tonight on television

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  polishshooter 
#1 ·
In honor of Veterans' Day, Saving Private Ryan will be aired tonight on regular television (ABC). Check your local listings for times/affiliates. It will be aired "uncut", with limited commercial interruptions.

Unfortunately, some affiliate stations won't be airing it because they're scared of the FCC cracking down on them over the violence and obscenity, even though the FCC has already stated it's considered non-offensive due to the context. So some of you may be out of luck.

I think it's great that ABC has decided to show this movie. It will be a great way for people who haven't seen it to realize the terror and sacrifice that our veterans have endured on our behalf.

#4 ·
A great movie. But considering all the other movies:

No one discounts the role the Rangers, 101ist and 82nd airborne played in the the war in Europe, but they didn't win it alone.

An outfit called the 7th armored division of which my Dad was infantry with and the 106th infantry, also in the Ardennes and at the point of the German attack in the Battle of the Bulge at St. Vith also played a very important role, but never seem to get mentioned or recognition.

G
#6 ·
It's a great film and well worth watching. A sincere effort was made with this film to be as realistic as possible, despite the fact that some may be offended by the violence and the realistic attitudes displayed. The first half hour of that film, which includes the D-Day landing, was extremely well done and all-too-realistic, but is perhaps the most violent war-film dramatization I've ever seen.

#7 ·
What I appreciated was the realism they gave to the weapons and special effects-they used real MG 42s from IMA, and the sound of REAL links hitting the floor of the bunker and the sounds of the barrel and handguard cooling in the one scene after that "assault" on the radar station almost made you SMELL it.

(However, I never quite understood a few things, like WHY the sniper didn't cover that assualt with his 03A4, instead of "leaving" it with the clerk and charging in with a CARBINE, why they were all sitting around drinking and THEN ran around like chickens preparing the charges after the Krauts were coming, WHY they put an MG in the TOWER, where it would be obvious and knocked out quicky in anyopening stages of a fight, plus it only could give plunging fire, and WHY they just didn't parcel out the extra belted ammo to the only two guns (with one in the tower that couldn't be reached ANYWAY!) instead of having their weakest link run around a hot battlefield with it??? Oh, well, HOLLYWOOD...what do you expect, at LEAST there wasn't an obligatory "Love interest...")

#8 ·
For what it's worth, I thought the same thing.

One other thing I noticed was that Ryan and the Captain had a man directly in front of them in their line of fire who would have had his head shot off when the tanks and infantry were coming.

I would have told him to get the f.... out of there.

#10 ·
I also didn't "get" the Werhmacht infantry pushing around the WHEELED 20mm AA gun in the final scene either....and why they wouldn't have used some of the wine bottles with some of the gas in the Kettenkrad to make molotovs for the guys at least in the tower...would have been just the ticket for that SP gun that finally got him...

My wife HATES to watch "War movies" with me, if it's BAD on the effects or weapons I'm bitching and pointing things out, if it's GOOD I'm oohing and aweing and pointing things out... :)

She fell asleep during "Enemy at the Gates" but I woke her up when I started screaming when they dropped a PERFECTLY good LAMINATED 91/30 snaperskaya in the rubble when the one old sniper bought it...I would have GLADLY let them use one of my ratty ones if they were going to DROP it, and I would have held onto the laminated for them for "protection..." :D

One of my FAVORITES is "Kelly's Heroes..." they did a FINE job on the weapons and weapon use, as WELL as making the Tigers at least LOOK like Tigers...not like "Patton" where they just painted some M48s grey and added crosses... :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.