Sawback bayonet id

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by mopardoctor, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mopardoctor

mopardoctor New Member

My brother picked up in a second hand store several years ago a sawback bayonet. We used it for clearing brush when camping etc. The bayo and scabbard were metal and appeared to be nickle steel or stainless. I remember only one marking on the blade at the handguard. The marking looked just like the WWII "SS", that is the zigzag S like the SS had in their insigina. Was that a manufacturer mark or a unit mark. WWI or WWII? Swiss or German?

Mopar Doctor
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Any chance for a picture or two?? (If possible include a close up of the markings.)
  3. stede

stede Member

Hmmm not enough info, Doc. The 'SS' marking is like no unit or manufacturer's mark that I know of, and was certainly not used by that organization to mark bayonets (and would not have been issued or used that late). Most sawbacks were finished bright (except for Weimar re-issues of the WW1 Sg98/05, which were heavily blued and had the sawback ground off) although scabbards were blued. A chrome finish might indicate a post-war enhancement...
    It could be a Swiss M1914 as well... or any number of others. Many countries issued sawbacks in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. I'll see if I can't post a pic of some in a group, maybe you can pick it out... best, Steve in Colorado

OK, seems I have too many sawbacks to get into a pic that will allow posting here. Mayhaps we can narrow the field, Doc- do you recall if the hilt is all metal, wood/metal, or pressed leather/metal?
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  4. mopardoctor

mopardoctor New Member

I'm trying to find out if he still has it. I remember the blade was bright metal but not chromed, looked like stainless or the good nickel steel. The scabbard was bare bright metal also. Only marking I remember at all was the SS at the base of the blade.

MD

P.S> brother said bayo was lost or stolen.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010