say goodbye to the greatest generation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ronnieboy, Feb 4, 2010.

1. ronnieboy

ronnieboy New Member

I went to my uncles funeral yesterday. He was 83 years old and was married to the same woman for 62 years. That says a lot about his character right there. He was with General Patton at the Battle of the Bulge when a German tank 88 main gun blew up near him. The schrapnel left a hole under his arm pit big enough to hide a football. He lost some ribs and bout a year in recovery. He married his wife , Jane, when he was recovered and back home.He then proceeded to raise a family of one boy and 2 girls. All of which has turned out quietly and well. He wouldnt talk of the war much except to say that thank God we havent fought on US soil. And said all along how lucky America was to have soldiers willing to fight "overthere" for us. As i heard the brass casings of the M1's military salute rattle on the sidewalk, i just hoped "We" would be worth the trouble and not let our soldiers die in vain. Have you ever seen a bronze star? Goodby uncle Alvie, God Bless YOU.
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

My condolences.
    May he R.I.P.
  3. ronnieboy

ronnieboy New Member

Thanks, i think we'll all miss this generation. They built all that we are and have right now. Who's gonna defeat the bad guys now? Not many fine fellers left.
  4. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

Men like your uncle have inspired me to serve my country and stand up and defend what men like your uncle have defended. I promise to make his and your generation proud.
  5. ronnieboy

ronnieboy New Member

God bless you. I gotta Garand you can use.
  6. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

May he rest in peace. Seriously he is a hero
  7. ronnieboy

ronnieboy New Member

I agree, did you ever notice, when you meet a wwll vet. they're different, quieter? more confident? not stuckup like some. friendly, AND they mean what they say. Just different. Met a few young fellers like that, some had limbs missin and still was friendly, and just good. I do what i can to respect em , help if i can, and say thanks if i cant.
  8. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

Yeah a marine came into cost plus while i was in cost plus workin at the register somehow it came up his right ear was blown out and i asked why an he told me an ied went off under his humvee and i shook his hand and said thankyou and put his six pack an chips on the house an shook his hand. I wish the american people did more for them a simple han shake an a thax is probably very appreciative
  9. ronnieboy

ronnieboy New Member

"thumbs up" Atta boy. i'm sure he appreciated it. i know i did. you'll get yours, 10 fold. thanks
  10. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Nice tribute to your uncle, Ronnie. He was, and is, an
    A M E R I C A N!!!!:cool:
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    ronnieboy, I am sorry for your loss, not just your loss, but a loss for all of us. These were real men, and sadly few of them are left. My great grandfather fought in the Civil War (Confedericy), my dad fought in North Africa, I, and my brother served during VN. I am proud of my families contribution to the military of this great country. Each time a Vet passes we are less for it.
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

May God rest his soul and may we as Americans never forget his sacrifice. Sounds like one helluva man and what should be an example for America today.
  13. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Thanks to men like him there are many of us in later generations that understand the responsibility we have to fight for what many have died for.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself".
    John Stuart Mill
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  14. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There was something that I noticed of the WWII members that I've encountered. My dad, his brother, My mom's sister and two brothers and a multitude of their friends. They never spoke of their experiences. I'm convinced that they knew that it was a job to be done, and off they went to do it. An incredible generation that we'll not likely see again.

I'm presently watching a set of DVDs I received as a Christmas present from a young man who works for me. He's a Texas Aggie and they all seem to be born super patriotic. He gave me "WWII in HD". It apparently was a series on the History Channel and it has a tremendous amount of archival footage.

Also, everyone should watch "Band of Brothers" once in their lifetime.

A nice tribute to your uncle, but also to all vets. We can't thank them enough. RIP.
  15. ronnieboy

ronnieboy New Member

i wont forget his funeral. His honor guard was WW ll vets with their uniforms and white hair, and sololmn stance. Like losing a brother, i think. I remember the garands they held. They were clean and used. some had crosses embedded in the stock, What a small, symbol of appreciation, by a grateful nation , the soldier said. A folded flag traded for a life. Seems like we owe alot more than that to men that've done their duty. Think about it the next time you see a vet with some parts missin, what do we owe them? I appreciate your comments, thanks