SBGO; How do YOU use it?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by CCHolderinMaine, Jan 2, 2017.

1. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Steep Falls, Maine
    So I finally got my first bottle of SBGO.
    Ordered it from a recent post here on TFF.
    I wasn't really looking for anything new, but the reviews and the recommendations (not to mention supporting a good guy) got me to try.
    My thinking was along with other uses, I was going to substitute it for the Remoil I wipe my firearms exterior surfaces down with.
    Now that I have it, well, it's gray, and thick!...holy moly, it feels like I've put cosmoline on them.
    Am I way off base here? Is it not intended for protective coating?
    It sure does work well as a moving part lubricant though!
    I guess I'm highlighting my ignorance here, but sometimes that's the best way to learn.
    Please, fill my empty head with knowledge on this one!

joe45c, carver and ysacres like this.
  2. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    Wazzu WA
    Gottcha, joe45c and carver like this.

3. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member

I gargle with it. It soothes the sore throat

Seriously, I rub the entire gun down with it, let it soak into the pores and then wipe it off. You don't need much, it goes a long way. I hit the wear points, slide, rail, etc with the thin stuff and wipe excess off.

joe45c and carver like this.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Indiana
    On guns I do use it just like I used to use RemOil. It's more viscous, but that's a good thing. (I've always used the pre-wetted wipes for the exterior metal of guns, and I still do that. It's just soooooo convenient.)

But I also used SBGO in lots of applications where people use WD-40.

A few weeks back, I took it to church to lubricate hinges on a few doors. It works A-1.

joe45c and carver like this.
  5. Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2004
    NW AR
    For moving parts, I drop it on and wipe any off that will cause buildup with my fingers. For the exterior, I drop it on and spread it with my fingers, leaving a good coating. After it has soaked a bit, I will lightly wipe it down with a rag, taking off the excess and any left in crevices. Even if you were to wipe hard, you would still be left with a film.

And I have used it on hinges too....

joe45c, rawright54 and carver like this.
  6. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2011
    My toilet seat and lid have metal hinges. I've used all kinds of lubes and with the humidity they only work for a few days. I tried a little SBGO 3 weeks ago and it is still smooth and quiet.

joe45c, rawright54 and carver like this.
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Here at TFF
    One drop on a shaving brush usually gets the job done.

8. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

a few drops in your engine crankcase and you're milage will go up 30 percent and your exhaust will smell like bacon

nstoolman1, howlnmad, Gottcha and 3 others like this.
  9. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    Wazzu WA
    A word of caution: at least two of us here have had the bottle leak, rather it be not getting the cap closed completely or not, who knows! Keep your bottle upright when not in use.
    It was all good: the wife wanted new carpet in that room anyway :)

10. I use it to lube all my guns, as well as my reloading presses and recently in a pinch the hinge on my truck door. Stuff is slick enough for just about anything

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    Drop a bullet into the bottle to help with the mixing when you shake it up. I lube just about everything with it (haven't tried it on toilet seat yet). I also use the drop (or two) on a shaving brush to rub over all the metal parts of all my guns.

howlnmad likes this.