SBR Legality Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 45Smashemflat, Sep 15, 2004.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

This is similar to the earlier post on sawed off shot guns. What's the technical definition of a SBR? Here is why I am asking. I can buy a 10.5" barrell for my 1927 Thompson, and pay the NFA stamp costs to have it installed. Total bill will be around $500 tax, tag, valve stems, etc....

Since I've got the long barrell now, I'm wondering 2 things - a.) maybe I want one shorter than 10.5", so perhaps the right move is to just have this one cut - Call it a $300 bill. b.) if the shortest legal length, without being a SBR is 11", maybe I'll just cut this one down to that and save the NFA fees if 10.5" is as short as I can go with the current set up of the gun - I have not measured all the details yet. For a 1/2" - I'll stick with a legal (untaxed)length and save the NFA stamp.

Thoughts, opinions?
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Minimum length for a rifle barrel is 16", including any permanently added on muzzle brakes, etc.

Shortening that barrel to any overall length less than 16" will require registration as a SBR. If you do that, and then decide to CHANGE the barrel length (say, 10.5" to 7") you would have to go through the entire registration process again.
  3. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Alrighty, guess that answers that - can't go the cheap way. Figure I'll spend a bit of time with a tape and figure out what I want and got the appropriate NFA route.

On a similar note, the bottom sorta fell out of the drum magazine business today - Kahr has 50 rounders on sale for $285..... Already getting one on order.