SBR Logic, I don't get it...

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by 45Smashemflat, Nov 6, 2004.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

OK - First, I understand that laws do not have to make sence - but I really don't get this. What's the deal with the Short Barrel Rifle restrictions? I mean, I can by a 44 mag revolver that I can easily carry concealed. But, I can't have a real short 44 lever gun - that is still appreciably larger than any 44 mag handgun. What's the sense in that?
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

If you went back in BATF time, this is what you would find...albeit.....not far enough. Burn rates, as classified by BATF. Also enter the (serves no sporting purpose) Rifles require a minimum or 16"`s and shotguns a minumum or 18`s. Logical???? Not really. Now back to sporting case (dumb as it really is.) When the 5SEVEN9 hit the market...pistol and subgun (really SWEET) It was not for sale to the public-PERIOD. Now it is, atleast in the pistol form. But my belief is what a varmit rifle caliber!!!! We shall see, atleast the pistol is now available to the public with twenty round magazines.

LTS
  3. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

If I'm not badly mistaken,the SBR laws go back to the NFA of 1934.
    The idea was that a sbr is more controlable than a handgun,thus more deadly.
    Given the shooting abilities of the average criminal,what would you rather face,a handgun with a 6" barrel,or a short stocked rifle with a 12" barrel?
    Robert.
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

LTS - whats a 5Seven9? New one on me.

GaMach - I guess I can buy that, but it still stinks. Somehow my 1927 Thompson is "more scary" with a 10.5" barrell, so I have to pay 2x the barrell price to stamp it and install it... A Carbon 15 "5.56 Pistol" carry's the same length upper as the NFA CAR 15, your just a collapsable stock apart. You can use a 4 cell mag light to "stock" a glock, but you can't buy the snap on plastic one..... Oh well, as I started with, our legal system is not supposed to make sense....

Anybody know a Class III gunsmith who can do this kind of work and help with the forms? In the Ga area?
  5. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

You specifically need a 'Class II' manufacturer. This would be a Type 07 FFL that has paid the 'Class II' SOT.
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Thanks Country! Always trying to stay legal! - is there an internet directory of these folks with these skills and permits?
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

Jonathan Arthur Ceiner- He's in Cape Canaveral, Fla. Close enough for a vacation???
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Hmm, yep, food for thought....
  9. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

45smashemflat,
    It's been a while since I came by here!
    I passed by a gunshop on the way back from the airplane museum at Warner Robbins AFB last month.
    It was on the main road to and from WRAFB to I 75 North.
    I think their sign said they were a class 3 dealer,but I don't recall the name
    (Rifleman something,big help huh?)
    Hope this helps,
    Robert.
  10. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Yep - I know they guy. He can buy/sell, but can't do Class III mods. How did you like the Museum? You were pretty close to me, as I live just south of Warner Robins.
  11. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

I had to make a whirlwind tour of the place because we got there late,and my lady friend was trying to get as many pics as she could for her three sons.I didn't get a lot of time to look at the outside displays and the ones awaiting display though.
    (I think it was after 2:30 when we arrived because of a late start and a stop off in Macon to get her digital camera downloaded at Wolf .)
    I want to go back one day,but it will probably be combined with a trip to the Ocmulgee WMA gun range,so it may not be that practical since I am a workaholic.
    Regards,
    Robert.