Scales question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ramdino, Jan 29, 2011.

1. ramdino

ramdino New Member

I have a rcbs balance scale that was passed down to me. It goes from 0-500 grains. Can I weight small grains like 22.5 grains for loads or do i need a smaller scale?
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

My 505 RCBS scale goes from 0-500 and I can accurately weight pistol powders down to 1.6gr. What model # is your scale?
  3. noylj

noylj Member

If the balance weighs from 0-500 grains, then it must be able to weight 22.5gn. It will also weigh 2.0gn.
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

yes. it can weigh any charge up to the max which is should be 505 grains. obviously you're not familiar with scales, which is okay, everyone has to start somewhere. but my concern is... if you're not familiar with scales then you dont need to be loading ammo as scales are an integral part of, and probably the most important part of the loading process.
  5. ramdino

ramdino New Member

Thats what I am working on, familiarity with scales. I figured it out after I read the directions for the 505 scales at RCBS. My concern was that since my scales went over such a large spectrum of weights, that I would be better to get one that was closer to the weights I would be using to prevent a larger amount of variations between loads. I know I can use it, or I do now. I just want to be as acurrate as possible within reason. I am new so misrtakes of a .001 of a grain do not mean mush to me know but a mistake of 1.0 grain would.
  6. johnlives4christ

i dont think you'll have a problem with the 505 measuring a smaller weight. they know that most reloaders will be measuring under 100 grains so they make the scale accurate over a broad range.

your scale wont measure down to .001 grains. now... depending on the cartridge .01 might be a big difference. when you're throwing 22 grains, unless you're real close to max, .01 wont make any difference in safety. it might make a difference in accuracy depending on the gun and load.

do you have, and have you read a loading manual?
  7. ramdino

ramdino New Member

yep, i have a lyman brand new and two others that are older. Do you have another suggestion?
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

For most pratical loading you won't need to be concerned with charge weights smaller than .5gr. You should have a scale weight check set to verify your scale accuracy,if all checks out with the check set you are good to go
  9. noylj

noylj Member

It doesn't matter if you are loading for benchrest or trying for max velocity, reloading is a +/- 0.1 gn activity. It just doesn't matter.
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1.0 to that :D
  11. johnlives4christ

no sir
  12. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I use an electric scale. But I purchased the, LEE,'' Powrer Safety Scale,'' so that during my reloading I can keep checking my elec. scale against it. Heck, for $20 it's well worth it.
  13. Orin

Orin Member

Your scale likely has 3 poises which establish increments... 10, single & tenth grains, starting at the big one up front. For 22. grns set the front to 20 grns, the middle poise to 2 grns & the little one at the rear to whatever tenths. All this AFTER zeroing the scale with the hopper attached. Test to see how freely the scale swings cuz you'll probly hafta learn to "play with it" & let it go to zero from high & low. Its a good idea to test a new scale with test wieghts, which are cheap, to ensure that its dead-on. Take yer time. No hurry. Craftsmanship adds to life's worth but takes time.