Scales!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Josh Smith, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

Hi Folks,

My new (to me) scales came today! It's been a looong wait.

[​IMG]
    Background is a Lyman/Ohaus D-5, and in the foreground is a Redding with oil dampening.

[​IMG]
    The Lyman at zero...

[​IMG]
    ... and the Redding with a calibration weight.

They both are spot on.

I really like the Redding. Been playing with oil vs speed to zero and precision. I think I've found a mixture of vegetable oil and a smidge of beeswax that works very well. The original stuff I made up was too thick by a bit, but I think I can do better than the vegetable oil. I happened to talk to Dad today and he said that in engineering they had always used 10 weight motor oil or similar, but I want to stay away from petroleum products around gunpowder.

Even with pure vegetable oil, the Redding settles down faster than any magnetically dampened scale I've seen.

Both beat the Lee I have all to heck!

I do believe one or both of these will be replacing my Lyman electronic scale. That thing's just a bit too temperamental for my tastes.

I'm pretty tired today, but after working tomorrow making sights and such, I think I might give them both a spin!

As always, comments are welcome!

Thanks,

Josh
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Use 10w motor oil in that Redding. If you've got the docs for it, that's what they recommend.
    Veggie oil (anything natural) will go rancid and it'll stink up your reloading space after a while. It'll also gum up after a while too as it gets stale.

That Redding is a great scale other than the mess of the oil pot. I've got the same scale and while I normally use a PACT digital the Redding gets pulled out every so often just for fun. I use 10W-30 though since I don't keep straight 10w around for anything. And yes they do damp out much faster than a magnetic scale.

There's nothing wrong with that Lyman/Ohaus though either. I've got a Lyman that's identical to that one except it's all orange and doesn't have the Ohaus name on it anymore. If it ever needs service, contact Lyman and they'll have you send direct to Ohaus for service. RCBS has the same service arrangement with their Ohaus-made scales.
    It's tons better than the current Lyman scale with the plastic base.
    Ohaus is a great company that stands behind their products, 90% of our scales (digital food-service and lab-grade) at work are Ohaus.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Josh Smith:

I'm sorry Josh but I can not share your enthusiasm for any balance beam scale. I have owned several and waiting for them to settle down and stop swinging, whether they be oil damped or magnetic damped, is just too excessive for me. I have an electronic digital scale that is good to a tenth of a grain, more than accurate enough for my needs. But there are digital scales and digital scales. They are not all equal. And you must calibrate them occasionally. I know the quirks of mine and compensate for them. It is still better and faster for me then a constantly swinging balance scale. The last one was an RCBS 304 top of their line balance scale that has sat totally unused for more than 15 years.

But we all get to choose.

LDBennett
  4. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

Thanks folks.

Do Lyman 1000 electronic scales (I think it's a 1000, could be the direct predecessor as it doesn't go to 1000 grains, which I believe that denotes) bring anything on the used scale market?

It's a very good scale but not really my thing anymore.

Thanks!

Josh
  5. RandyP

RandyP Member

very nice looking scales. Yes, they appear to be far more substantial and perhaps easier to use than the little plastic Lee balance that came with my Anniv. kit.

I confess my tired old eyes and fingers led me to purchase an inexpensive digital -MTM DS-1250 that is plenty accurate for my needs.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I want that redding!
  7. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have one of them Reddings I got mine in a horse trade. Now i know how to use it, If i ever do i like it sitting on the shelf better:D
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My fav scale is an RCBS 502 beam EXACTLY like the lyman D5 above.. Except green ;)
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I've got a 505 and a elect RCBS 750. Love'em both.

What problems are you having with your Lyman electronic?
  10. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

Hello,

No problems at all with the Lyman electronic. In fact, I think it's one of the better electronic scales I've used. No drift I can tell when set up properly (not much to that, either!)

I just decided that I wanted to go back to what I started with. I began with a Lee beam scale and, while I liked it, there were a bunch of things about it I didn't like, so I bought the Lee electronic.

Since purchasing these higher-dollar beam scales, I'm finding they didn't suffer the same problems as did the Lee, and I just prefer the mechanical to the electronic. I guess I was a computer geek for too many years. My friend and I built hotrods when we were teens, too, and neither of us can even stand to work on our own cars any longer, though I still do.

The Lyman is here now:

http://www.smith-sights.com/

I thought about keeping it, but can't figure out what I'd use it for. Both these beam scales settle down fast enough to check bullet weights so I just really don't need the Lyman electronic for anything.

[​IMG]

Figure someone else can use it. I never really did except to check drop weights, so it's hardly been used. Still, I priced it by half. Figure it would be good to get someone into handloading with as I don't want them to suffer with a Lee beam like I did!

First one to buy it, gets it! Then I take down the listing.

But this wasn't supposed to be a commercial!

Was up early. Probably should try to go to sleep early. G'night ya'll!

Regards,

Josh
  11. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

If you still want a Redding scale my mother just got one from my grandfathers estate. I traded the one i had for my grandfathers.:D Is $15.00 for it + shipping to much to ask? let me know and i will work things out with my mom.
  12. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

Hello,

Given that mine was $27 plus shipping, I'd say that's more than fair for an oil damped one.

If he doesn't want it I'll take it! ;)

Regards,

Josh
  13. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

Hey Josh and gun nut, I was just looking on all the sights (midway ect.) for a new scale. I was trying to decide between digital or a good beam scale. I have an old Lee scale, but I would like something better. Josh I don't know what you want for the lyman but I'm interested if you still have it. Gun-nut if the redding kooks like the ones above, I'm also interested in it. I would love to have both to cross check. If you still have them e mail me jboo37@yahoo.com Thanks, John.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yall cant have my redding ;)
  15. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Its gone! Sorry. But the digital scale i have is a cabellas brand an it serves me well but i still use my lee. But it is a bit of a pain. i would look at gun shows for the redding. If i find them at the gun shows around here (north west ohio) i will pick them up and be more then glad to sell them to ya for what i pay for them.