SCAR 308 question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Zhurh, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I was going to post in pre ban section but figured in general more might know what's going on with these babies?

Nephew came up for some Spring Bear and showed up with this sweet shooter. Civilian version of SCAR heavy in 308; even killed a bear and got it on his I-phone. You can actually see him shoot the gun while bear is lined out 20 yards away; too cool. I'll post the video when I get it sent to me.

I guess these guns have been available for some time, Buds has them for $2900; too spendy to beat around in the woods but got me green with envy just the same.

First one I have shot and it held under an inch at 100 yards, but we only went through maybe a dozen rounds and was close enough to kill a bear. So then this morning, I get on AK LIst, our state comp list and I see one listed for $975. Now this ain't right I thought, so got me wondering if maybe some hot guns floating around, or Chi-Com fakes, or maybe Big "O" has his guys setting people up with illegally transferred guns, or something else that hasn't crossed my paranoid mind just yet.

So what ya all think, seems fishy to me, but that SCAR was so nice to shoot; have to start reminding the wife how lucky she is having me around; maybe get one before November???????

[​IMG]
  2. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

That new price is about 500 dollars hi. And under a grand for used 1. I would stay away from it. If you're really interesting in that style go for a remington acr. It comes in 223 or 6.8. That's what I'm saving up for right now
  3. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

The civilian version would be called a scar 16 s
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I just talked to the wife and called the local gun shop I buy most my guns & scopes from. My guy said for the one I pictured above with a 16 inch barrel, 7.62X51 he could get it for $2730; in the brown/tan finish; he's checking on availability. He said he wants one himself. Bud's Guns in Kentucky wants $2900 and have several in stock. They also make a SCAR that kinda looks like a BAR; now that one is under a gran; but man I like the shorter barrels.

I have a 6.8 stag with 16 inch barrel, luv it but want something a little more powerful that doesn't weigh like a M-14. The SCAR my nephew brought up was weight wise between my 6.8 Stag and my Armalite 338 Fed. The 16 inch barrel is better than the 21 inch barrel on my AR-10 for riding & hunting on the trails around here. I hate about getting knocked off the 4 wheeler when gun hits trees on narrow trails.

Anyway, thanks for input; that SCAR impressed me for its light weight, accuracy, and modular build. It really fit the body well riding with a magpul 2 point sling.
  5. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

Oh I won't lie I've been looking at that scar also
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

There be a small bear back in the woods, nephew didn't shoot it but took pict. The one he did shoot was with scar and they got on vid; waiting for that one to come.

[​IMG]
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Now I love the SCAR platform, but too rich for my blood..............I plopped down $1500 a few years back on my Rock River LAR8...**or AR10 to most**...(mine has a 24" heavy varmint barrel and a two stage trigger). I would put it against a SCAR any day.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

My Armalite AR-10 338 Fed holds under an inch at 100 yards, I luv it but only for in the truck. Too much weight banging around on me when riding down a trail on 4 wheeler. The AR-10 doesn't have a 16 inch barrel too. That SCAR just fits so well against the body and light.

I luv hunting with AR"s, just need more knockdown & range than 6.8 spc.