Scared of guns, but looking to buy one

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carolannjeanette, Jan 28, 2012.

1. carolannjeanette

carolannjeanette New Member

Hello, I am a single mother of a 5 year old child. I recently had somebody try to brake into my house while I was home--freaked me out! I want to get a gun for personal safety. I only started looking today and so far what I have found to be the most appealing is a Glock, generation 4 19, or something like that. However, what I am most looking for is advice in the gun buying process. My first thought is to find somebody (a professional) to meet at shooting range and to shoot some guns so I could get a feel for what feels most comfortable. Since I have a young child, I am considering getting a semi-automatic because it seems like if a child does get his hands on it, they can't just point and shoot like they could with a revolver. Although, if I do get a gun, my child should never ever be able to gain access to my gun. So I need to be able to properly and safely store it in my house. My other concern is that if I have it too locked up, if I do need it for an intruder, then by the time I get it out and get it unlocked, it may be too late. How to deal with that dilema?

I also want to mention that I am afraid of guns!!!! :eek: But maybe with knowledge, education, and training, that fear will go away.

I also fear if an intruder does come in, that if I have my loaded gun and then hear somebody come down the hallway and the lights are out, what if I think it is an intruder but really it is my child? Or what if I shoot the intruder, but then the bullet goes through the intruder, and through the wall, into my son's room and hits my son? How does one avoid this kind of stuff?

My last question is about how often does one need to practice shooting in order to keep the skill and confidence up?

I used to be one of those people opposed to private citizens owning guns, believing that guns were violent...years later, I am changing the thought. It is just kind of strange that I used to think anybody with that National Rifle Association bumper sticker was some kind of nut job, and now I am in the process of becoming a gun owner. It just took me a while to figure out that my son and I are more vulnerable without a gun in a home.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Where are you located?
  4. carolannjeanette

carolannjeanette New Member

Northern California (Silicon Valley). :)
  5. kcomqg

kcomqg New Member

glock is a great gun easy to use and very very dependable they dont look the best but its your life we are talking abought
    its the only gun i would trust my life with if i had to choose a gun out of any brand.............
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.

You have answered one of your own questions already. MANY people fear firearms until they......like you said.....are knowledgeable, educated, and trained. You are on the right track already.

You might ask around to find a gun club. Then talk to them. Most gun owners are MORE THAN WILLING to help someone that is looking to learn about firearms.

And of course, you can read a LOT of information right here. ;)
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Honestly, I might look into a .410 pump with a light
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Ma'am welcome to the Forum , and sorry to hear of your issue, but here in Australia where they took the guns away , thats common , but folks are becoming like you , i teach lot's of ladies here gun safety and usage nowdays

may i suggest if you can get to a gun range ( indoor ) , do a training course then. from a good selection ( make that a big part of were you end up attending ) of THEIR guns try each one,

once you have been educated on its usage ( most operate the same but have small differences that can trick folks , all folks new and experienced ;) ) see how you feel with it ..

start small , .22 lr is as small as you wish to go , to higher calibres and models until you get to the best fit for you , with the most stopping power , if sadly , you are forced to use it that way ,

dont laugh as a ,22 though , 2 fast shots to a belly groin area will stop most man mountains , even drugged up ones , if not , repeat, and the ER can fix em up most of the time ( some eat to a diet list for years but thats not your problem if you had to do so ) yes there are better , stronger calibres , but if you know how to use any gun ( practise ,practise practise) , its lethal if needed

that aside , get trained , get used to them , choose whats best for you that YOUR comfortable with and then learn to use that gun to do all it can do so you and yours are always protected

My Prayers for your family saftey and for wisdom in your future choices

and my sincere hope that you never need to use it

but better armed than being a victim

cheers to you ma'am

and if i may

treat this as any other skill requirement in life

get knowledge , training and the tools for the job ..

and practise the training regularly ..
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  9. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum.Lots of people here will help you and share gun knowledge and safety with you.That being said it seems a little strange to comment about being afraid of guns and then sounding off about wanting a 4th generation Glock 19.Where did you hear of such a gun and knowledge about it.Most people start off with low recoil 22's and become familiar with shooting and go on from there.I would check the list of guns allowed by your state on it's website first and go from there.Also there are restrictions on magazine capacity from what I here in California.Also I would not own firearms without a safe to keep them in.
  10. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Carol, sorry you had that experience, but you are definately going about getting a gun the right way and thinking ahead. Definately go to a range and try as many guns as you can. Find several that fit your hands to try out. Make sure that you can safely hold and handle it. Trying things out will be a big help in actually choosing a gun. Once you find several that feel good, pick a caliber that you can handle. You are going to want to shoot this gun enough to be comfortable with operating it under a stressful situation, so you should be comfortable(realtively) with practicing with it. If it is painful or scary to practice with it, you may not practice with it as much. A .38 special or 9mm would probably be a starting point. They make some ammunition that is bonded together and breaks up on impact that you may consider. It is called frangible(somebody can check my spelling on that) ammunition. It's more expensive, but it is something to look into.

In your situation, I would also recommend picking a gun that is simple to operate and break down to clean. The more complex a gun is, the more likely to have problems, in my opinion. Not to mention harder to clean, which you will want to do after practicing.

You are asking a lot of questions that many of us around here are still trying to figure out ourselves. There are few wrong answers, but you have to decide some of these things for yourself, since you are the one to live with the results. Keeping the gun accesible, yet away from the kids is a tough one. They have biometric pistol safes that work, but I have heard a lot of bad reviews on them. Some people put them out of physical reach of the children and hope for the best. And some like a lot of us just grew up around guns enough that we knew not to touch them because we were taught to respect them(and knew we would get our butts whipped if we did). Some combination of that will work for you, but it's up to you to decide. I will suggest that you take the kids with you at some point and set up a milk jug filled with water to show them what the gun can do and impress upon them the dangers of messing with it without you there.

Again, the main thing is to find something you are comfortable with and use it. How much you practice is up to you, but at first you will need a lot until you can hit what you aim at and make the gun function without hesitating. If you need to, do what jack suggested and start with a .22. It will keep you from being afraid of too much recoil and noise until you get the basics. And something is always better than nothing.

I hope you never have to use it, but I hope you have it and are proficient with it if you do need it.
  11. Python

Python Former Guest

How do you teach gun usage and safety if they took the guns away? And if they took the guns away, whats the point?
  12. Country101

Country101 Active Member

They arent gone completely python, there's just a lot of restricitons on them. How you transport them, conditions for owning them, and 1000 other stupid rules. But they are still around, just not like they should be.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

because we fought back , we've had 2 goes at having our own pro gun political party , we're still on the second lot , 3 lots 4 lots whats it matter gun licences and purchases are way up , we're fighting back
  14. rosierita

rosierita New Member

welcome aboard!

i agree with going to a range & shooting some rented guns. guns & ammo are expensive, having an idea of what you like before purchasing can save you money. when you go to the range, tell them upfront you have no experience & that you have a fear of guns that you need to work through.

i would also suggest you start out w/ a 22 & then go up from there. get used to shooting the 22, the noise, no recoil, etc. this will help you get over the fear you have. tell the guys/girls at the range you want to start w/ a 22, just in case someone tries to get you to start at a higher caliber.

for someone w/ no experience, i ALWAYS recommend a revolver. i realize you are concerned about your child & revolvers dont have safeties. BUT the ONLY true safety on any gun is what's between your ears! revolvers are easy to use, just point & click.

1. treat EVERY gun as if its loaded.
    2. ALWAYS be aware of where you're aiming it
    3. NEVER put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot it

as you're learning gun safety, teach your child. once you've got some experience w/ guns, teach your child all that you know or find someone who can.

the NRA has a great gun safety video called eddie eagle. we used that for our kids when they were little. i'd suggest get that, but dont rely solely on that video. look constantly for ways to bring up the issue w/ your child. kids need a constant reminder. you dont get by w/ just telling them 1 time to clean their room... so, dont expect that to work w/ gun safety.
  15. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Some gun stores have indoor ranges. Most will have rentals on the guns they sell. So my imput is go there and in most casess they will not charge the rental fees if you take a beginners class that they sometimes offer.(laydies get some special treatments at time) If its a good store they will guide to the right gun and the right classes. If they take there time and work with you. Some gun stores just say this is what you need and see you latter.( dont fall into that trap!) Take your time and look for the handgun that fits your hand properly! There are many to pick from. I have had guns in the past that i thought i would like and wasted money on them just to find out i did not like it. I would say just make some time once a month just to go and practice, you need to stay sharp! The more practice you get the better off you will be. As a shooter for about 20 years i do find that you will have days at the range that you will not do good and other days you will hit the mark every time. This happens to me and most of others as well. Feel free to ask questions on the board!!!!! No matter how dumb you might think it is!! Safty first!! If you have coworkers or friends that are into guns talk to them as well. I bet that they will go with ya to help as well. Happy gun hunting and learning! You might just find out that you will like shooting and get into it more as the years go by. I have got 2 of my ex-girlfriends That now shoot because i took the time to work with them and they still call from time to time to go shoot. Start small and work your way up to the bigger guns.:) WELCOME ABOARD!
  16. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

Others have told you correctly.

Some will disagree (strongly), but I would recommend that you buy a .38 revolver (least cost would be a Taurus, which is an OK gun) with Crimson Trace grips.

Something like this:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=oUIlT9XhNNKutwey2vyhCw&ved=0CEsQ8wIwAA

Just go to a gun shop and tell them you'd like to look at a Taurus model 85 with a full hammer---preferably with a Crimson Trace grip. They'll know what you mean.

They'll also try to talk you into a more expensive gun like one made by Smith and Wesson. Spend more on a Smith and Wesson and you might get a slightly more reliable gun, but a Taurus will work flawlessly for your needs.

And they might try to talk you into a semiauto (non-revolver) like a Glock. All those are fine, but you need to practice a lots with a semiauto. It's not really what you need in my opinion.

Revolvers, unlike Glocks and other semiautos, are VERY simple to load and operate.

And a Crimson Trace grip makes aiming VERY simple---even in the dark.

If you don't have time and opportunity to practice, practice, practice you will be better off with a revolver.

And for storage, I recommend one of these:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=mEQlT6KUAs-DtgeQ9v2nAg&ved=0CJYBEPMCMAA

It's called a GunVault w/electronic keypad entry. You can set the combination yourself and there is an emergency key that allows you to open it if the batteries fail or if you forget the combination.

That will keep your 5-year old from accessing your handgun (even when he gets to be 12 years old and has friends over and you have to run to the store) and enable you to access it in 2 seconds.

And get a good little flashlight to keep handy so you can look around in the dark.

Good luck!

PS: I am a safety engineer and I own all kinds of guns and have been shooting for the past 60 years.
  17. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    carolannjeanette, welcome to the Forum! I to am sorry that you had to have a bad experience. Please, take the advice given on going to a range, or shooting club. You will find that if you just show up and ask questions, the majority of these folks will let you shoot their guns, and their ammo, no cost to you at all. They will take you, and your son, under their wings. You will make new friends, and get some advice as well. It might not all be the best advice, so you will have a few decisions to make on your own. Best wishes, and good luck! May God bless both you, and your son.
  18. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the firearms forum. I am happy to hear you have decided to protect your family and to do so safely. I also hope you will do me a favor. I know you dont know me, but most everyone here will tell you I am a man of my word. I want you to send me your name and address in a PM so I can send you a free one year subscription to the NRA and I will sign you up to recieve all of the magazines that they print monthly so you can become a little more informed on what is going on in the gun world. Please accept this as a gift from me with absolutely no strings attached. I will be looking for your PM. Again, welcome aboard. Dan
  19. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

First off, WELCOME!!! :)

I'm happy to hear of your desire to learn about firearms and overcome your fear of them. Seriously, they aren't to be feared, but as with any other tool they need to be used properly & safely. Your local NRA should have a firearms familiarity & safety course you can take.

Here's my concern. Before you bring a gun into the home you need to question yourself whether you have the commitment to use it. Without the wholehearted willingness to pull the trigger on another human being, your firearm will become a weapon to be used against you and your family.

BTW, my wife has a G-19 too and loves to shoot it. We go to the range a couple of times a month to do a little shooting and keep ourselves familiar with our weapons. The G-19 has a short rail on the front of it where you can mount a small & bright light and it IS important to identify your target before you start shooting.

Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need to bring yourself up to speed. There are no dumb questions here TFF.
  20. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

:thumbsup: DOUBLE D!