SCATTER GUNS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Jan 19, 2007.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

The scatter gun AKA shot gun has been around for years
    It has been use to hunt with and in war, for home defense and as the major back up for police officers for years.
    The 10 / 12 / 16 / 20 / 28 and the 410 are the most common I know of a few more out there and have seen a couple of others.
    I like the 12 / 20 and the 410.
    any of which I could use for any purpose but the 12 & 20 are the ones I would use to hunt with or take to a gun fight!
    So let's talk about the 410 shotgun :)
    Why would you own one ?
    What would you use it for ?
    What would you limit it to in the game class ?
    Defense range ?
    Has it ever been to war, as in issue weapon ?
    If you own more than ten shot guns should one be a 410 ?
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Why would you own one ?
    Because its a Savage 67 and matchs my 20ga 67:eek:
    Takes up space in my safe
    Small game/birds
    I've put down many a rabbit, squirrel and quail with a old single barrel Iver Johnson
    Defense range ?
    15 yrds or less
    ??????
    Out 4 one is a .410
  3. flopshot

flopshot New Member

the only way to enjoy dove a dove shoot on opening day is to use a 410.
    great for teaching kids and just plain fun.
  4. cec

cec New Member

So let's talk about the 410 shotgun :)
    Why would you own one ? --> My Grandfather left me two, a Mossberg bolt action and a side by side.
    What would you use it for ? --> Shooting things and fishing.
    What would you limit it to in the game class ? --> Small mouth bass, catfish, maybe a dogshark.
    Defense range ? --> About 2 feet
    Has it ever been to war, as in issue weapon ? --> Dunno, haven't been to war.
    If you own more than ten shot guns should one be a 410 ? --> yes, since half my shotguns are (12ga, 20ga, 2x .410).
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I have a 410 or a few my self I am not putting them down and I know for a fact ONE has been used in combat NOT ISSUED but used.
    There is / was also the U.S. Air Force issue weapon that was really for survival that was a combination 410 and 22 hornet or 22lr that had a special place in the air craft. I would say that if it was me or them I would use the o/u for survival. I like a 410 it is great on small game and the three inch 410 slug will go all the way through a 8 inch live pine tree from a distance of 10 yards the 410 buckshot isn't much use except up close and then it is just as bad as any if you are on the receiving end:D
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  6. It's been said that the .410 bore (never "gauge") is "an expert's gun," which, of course, implies that the shot pattern is too small to be effective except in the hands of a so-called expert. I say that's poppycock! Of all the shotgun gauges (and bore) you named, Ron, I think the .410 is the most fun of all to shoot. Granted, if you're pass shooting ducks or geese at 70 yards it's likely not the best choice, but for small game (rabbits, tree rats, and the like, at reasonable ranges, it is ideal--light to handle, little recoil, and challenging to the shooter. It's getting harder and harder to find a good .410 though, and I think that is sad. I'm presently looking for a decent SxS (yeah, I'm a traditionalist!) double in .410. Anyone have a suggestion about where I might find one?
  7. cec

cec New Member

8. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Does it count that prison guards in India were issued .410 shotguns? I have one of the old Army Air Corps survival Springfields. Makes a great pack gun. I have an S/S and an O/U double barrel also. I used to hunt with those to make my day harder.
  9. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I love my .410's. I have 1 double barrel (Brazillian made) 1 Winchester red letter single shot. 1 springfield bolt action (my first gun my dad gave me when I was 8) . 1 mossberg pump. 1 single shot something cut down to a pistol. And a Super Comanche pistol.
    My next one will be a Saiga auto. clip fed.
  10. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Why would you own one ?
    Shootin' snakes
    Shootin' snakes
    Snakes
    Defense range ?
    Close
    Did they shoot snakes?
    Yes, to shoot snakes.

[grin]

Buddy of mine is a partner in an astronomy village development out in Taliaferro County, Georgia. They have seen rattlers out on the property and he and his wife are concerned about their toddler son. I recommended he get the Taurus revolver that shoots .45LC and .410 bore shells. Perfect medicine for rattlers!
  11. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I got a single shot Stevens for my kids to learn on. I took it hunting many times for rabbit & squirrel. Used on varmints several times.

would like to get a semi or pump sometime in the future just for fun.

I like the new lever actions. They look like a blast to shoot.
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I love it for a bunny rabbit gun just because it is lighter than most other shotguns and the ammo is lighter and you can hold more