Sccy CPX-1

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Jmedwards1, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Jmedwards1

Jmedwards1 New Member

I just wanted to start a thread for the SCCY (SKKY) CPX-1. There is a lot of bad information out there regarding this pistol. I wanted to see what the members have to say. Please post your HANDS ON experience with this pistol on this thread.

I am also interesting in any Modifications or specific problems associated with this pistol.

As I AM a HAPPY owner of this weapon I will share my experiences and upload some pictures of my work.:)

(My model number is 025xxx please post your S/N up with your post as many people believe that the problems this gun correlete with the S/N.)

Just a note: The new number for SCCY is 386.322.6336 if anyone needs to contact them.The website still has the old number up as of 11/18/10
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Jmedwards1

Jmedwards1 New Member

(NOTE: The dates of my posts may be incorrect as I am pasting them from a previous thread)

I Bought a used SCCY CPX-1 a few weeks ago. Cleaned/lubed it before I took it to the range. Here are the Results...

Cons:
    I got off about 50 rounds on my first visit and sure enough every 2 or 3 shots the safety would self engage. Its pretty annoying that no matter how I held it it would still engage the safety accidentally.

After I got back from the range I stripped the gun for cleaning I pulled the slide back, removed the clip, and as I was pulling out the retention pin I heard a crack.... My guide rod had snapped, locking up my gun so that I could neither pull the slide back nor push it forward! I gently pushed it back and forth until it finally gave and came back apart. Yep it was my guide rod! But not only that...In the process of getting it unjammed it bent up my recoil springs and the recoil springs basically chewed a huge gap in my frame!

Pro's..
    The gun shoots very well. It DOES NOT KICK...I don't know what everyone was complaining about. I am used to shooting mostly 40 s&w, but seriously it kicked like a SIG 22 Mosquito! I noticed minimal muzzle flip!

The gun also feels great in my medium sized hands. Except for the safety engaging every now and then it was a pleasurable experience to shoot. But for those of you concerned about the safety issue they do offer a kit that basically makes it where the safety cannot be activated it you are worried about it!

I was very impressed with their customer service. It was very similar to Hi-Point. Basically they ask for your serial number and will send you whatever part you need free of charge. If you need something like a receiver all you need to do is mail it in and they will make you a new one with the same serial number on it. The Customer Service Representative said all you pay to send it back is the shipping one way.

I called SCCY on a Friday and received my parts on Monday. I was very Imresssed. Also I complained about the price of the safety removal kit, which they wanted $20 for, When my parts came in guess what was shipped with it? You guessed.. the $20 safety removal kit! FREE OF CHARGE!

My subsequent visits to the range, after the modifications, have been a pleasure. She shoots fairly accurate at 15 yards. So far I have put about 300 rounds through my Used SCCY. I have had no major isses (FTF, FTE, Stovepipe,or failure to return to battery. After polishing the feed ramp I feel confident that she can feed the non +p hollow point ammo.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/album.php?albumid=314
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

my first attempt at owning a small lite weight 9mm was the skky ( before they changed to the sccy ) i won't bother you with details other to say junk... and i should of known better, anything following the design of george kellgren (grendel/kel-tec ) wasn't going to be something to bet your life on.
  4. Jmedwards1

Jmedwards1 New Member

The whole purpose of this thread was to expound upon specific issues that this gun has. Please let us know exactly, in detail, why you think this gun is junk.

Thanks
  5. Jmedwards1

Jmedwards1 New Member

Here are some pictures of my gun and a few things I noticed about it.

Here is a picture of the new safety removal kit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of my broken guide rod/recoil spring assembly. The end piece cracked off. This was caused by the recoil spring getting caught on the receiver during reassembly. I forced the gun apart and in the process sheared the end off the guide rod.. In the process of getting it apart it chewed a nick in the bottom of my receiver(picture of that below).I just want to say that this break was mostly MY fault. I go not blame SCCY for the break.(just wanting to clarify)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Has anyone had a problem putting their gun back together? I noticed that if you are not careful the barrel will come back with the slide and the recoil spring will then get caught on the receiver and jam up the gun.

To Eliminate this problem when I start to Pull back the slide I place my index finger on the barrel and point the gun down while I rack the slide like this...[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

prone to breakage, the trigger assembly, the safety assembly both broke on mine after less than 100 rounds... it was troublesome when feeding hollow points. the magazine release snapped off inside. yes it was all covered and i was sent a new gun 2 times but it didn;t give me a warm fuzzy feeling that this would be something i'd count on in a pinch. the last replacement i received still sits in it's box in my safe. i couldn't bring myself to sell it or trade it off at least not to anyone i knew or liked
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Would be used as a trade in my next transaction....holy cow.
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Why not just get the Keltec P11 that it's copied from?
  9. Jmedwards1

Jmedwards1 New Member

This thread was not meant to give alternatives to the SCCY CPX-1. It was meant to give information on the gun and to show either that the gun is reliable or not. Please give your first hand experience with this gun and the specific problems/praises that you have.

I have found this gun to be 100% reliable in my testing. I have put over 300 rounds through mine(which was used when I got it) without cleaning and have had NO problems. I intend to keep shooting it till it ceases to function properly and I'll share my results.

Thanks
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  10. K75RT

K75RT Member

About a year ago I posted about the problems I have had with my SKKY CPX-1. I have had to replace a broken firing pin, the slide would not lock back on an MT magazine, SKKY sent the parts and I replaced them. The extractor broke they sent me a replacement and I installed it. Lastly the safety used to self engage during recoil, the safety disable kit was sent and I installed it. I have had no new problems and the gun is working well. I will not carry this as a defensive arm and plan on selling it....
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

???

You had to dramatically modify the firearm. How is that finding the gun to be "100% reliable"?
  12. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

though i never owned one and never will, contrary to popular opinion the kel-tec isn't that much better. ok yes i know there are countless satisfied customers of kel-tec but for every happy customer i can locate a dissatisfied one. this company and it's owner and designer ( same guy ) is capitalizing on the plastic light weight small package craze. reliability has been spotty through out their production . yes their customer service is great but the bottom line if you buy a gun to defend your life and the life of your loved ones customer service shouldn't be the deciding factor reliabily should be. how foolish to say well they fixed this and fixed that replaced the gun with no issues. is this something you want to bet your life on? get a proven design something with a history of working each and every time you need or want it too , not a gun that gets fixed free of charge every time it fails....
  13. Jmedwards1

Jmedwards1 New Member

The only modification I did on the firearm was the safety removal kit which I use only when at the range. The new updated safety kit (not the safety removal) that they sent me works like a charm. It was not modification as they were new factory parts. They have been continuously improving the design of this gun. I also believe that the metallurgy has gotten a lot better since Oscars experiences with the broken cast parts.

This company is still new and this is their first gun. A lot of gun companies had worse problems when they were fresh. How many times Glock been UPGRADED? The last one being a 6 part upgrade! (just making a point) My point is this Company may surprise you. I DO use this gun as my primary carry in my truck and I trust it 100% It has never malfunctioned.

Thanks for the posts keep them coming!
  14. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Safeties engaging and guide rods breaking is not 100% reliable. Sounds like yours is reliable as long as you don't shoot or disassemble it.
    Here is my experience I own more Keltecs than most people (8 or 9), and am pretty well qualified as a craftsman.
    I examined one of the early Skyy pistols and thoght it was a VERY crude copy of the Keltec design-with an unnecessary safety added.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  15. Boris

Boris Former Guest

The 6 part upgrade happened in 1992, that was a good minute ago. It was a true upgrade that makes the gun run better dirty, but then you would have to shoot around 10,000 round without a cleaning to notice the performance of that upgrade.

In 93 they had a problem with a round maybe firing on a double feed on the G19 they took care of.

In 00 they had a G26/27 upgrade to the recoil spring assembly.

In 02 they had a failure rate of 0.0188% on the real rails on the frame they wanted to take care of.

In 05 they recalled G36s for a possible problem on some of the trigger safety.

The last one was not the 6 part upgrade that really was an upgrade. They just refined the design. The old one still worked great......