Schmidt-Rubin identification

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BiggT, May 22, 2011.

1. BiggT

BiggT New Member

I am trying to figure out what I have here. It was from an estate and i need to make positive ID and assign a value to it.
    It has the Schmidt-Rubin receiver and action and the date of 14 6 95 is under the buttplate. All serial numbers match, barrel, receiver, magazine, stock, etc. Has the original series bolt with the locking lugs to the rear. What has me stumped it the fact that it does not have the full stock as others I have seen, this one is open topped. It has a Lyman Peep sight that appears to be original stock. There are no indications that it ever had any other rear sight attached. Did they create a factory "sporter' rifle?

Attached Files:

2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

What you have is a M1889 Schmidt-Rubin that has been "sporterized".
    The stock has been cut and the rear barrel sight removed and replaced by a Lyman receiver sight, The top wood that covered the barrel from in front of the original rear sight is also missing. Can't tell if the barrel itself has been cut as the pictures don't show the muzzle.
    These rifles are collectible if in original condition, but aren't worth much other than parts when cut down as they are not considered safe to shoot with modern ammo.
  3. BiggT

BiggT New Member

Thanks for the comment. I suspected it had been "sporterized" but the quality of the work was much better than I would have expected if done by someone other than a real expert, and where this came from would pretty much exclude and expensive conversion. I have added a few more pictures to show the muzzle. Sorry about the picture quality, this thing does not like to take close-ups. BTW the barrel is 21.65 inches overall including the buttplate is 42.5 inches.

Attached Files:

4. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Well, the barrel length isn't right ( it should be 30.75") and the front sight blade has either been changed or has been altered to have a bead. Possibly a replacement by Lyman. Were it an original factory Swiss "sporter" they wouldn't have used Lyman sights. There was a "Short Rifle" version with a 23.3" barrel, but it wasn't made until 1900 and had a different magazine.

Are you sure on that barrel length? (Measured with a rod down the barrel on a closed bolt.) It seems longer in the pictures.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That looks like the original front sight base. If so, the barrel was cut and then turned down so the sight could be reinstalled. It looks like a fairly typical American "sporterizing" job. It would not have required a skilled gunsmith, just someone with a few basic tools and possibly a lathe.

Jim
  6. BiggT

BiggT New Member

Thanks guys.
    So basically it's worth something between very little and nothing. A nice wall hanger.
  7. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I have one just like it. My father in law found it at a show and paid $35.00 for it. About 30 years ago! Now it reminds me of a good man, when I take it to the range.