The Firearms Forum banner

school me on shotguns and slugs

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ozo 
#1 ·
I've never shot a slug... buck and shot.. yes..

I was given a shoebox asst of slugs by my stepbrother the other day.. 12, 16, 20 and .410

I got lots of shotguns in those calibers.

most of my 20's are bolt action.. and some of mine ( all gauges ) have those funny accu-choke things ont he end to dial a choke..e tc.

i have a MB pump gun with screw in tubes.. and I'm not sure what my browning a-5's in 12-16 and 20 have ..

so.. what is safe to shoot a slug thru?

#2 ·
Just make real sure you have the right slug for the gun in your hand! Slugs will shoot in any choke, but open bore, or cylinder bore will give the best results with Foster type slugs. You didn't say if they were all Foster, or a mix of Foster, and sabot.

#4 ·
Just make real sure you have the right slug for the gun in your hand! Slugs will shoot in any choke, but open bore, or cylinder bore will give the best results with Foster type slugs. You didn't say if they were all Foster, or a mix of Foster, and sabot.
you know.. not being a slug person.. I havn't specifically looked at what they are.

i think some are federal.. and some are win.. will get them all out to look.

so.. a slug would be safe in full? wow.. glad I asked. i would have thought no. :)

#5 ·
um.. so a sabot slug is for use only in a rifled shotgun.

what happens if you shoot one thru a smoothbore?

bad accuracy.. or does soemthing blow up???

see.. this is why I'm asking.

I'm not a slugger type of guy.. but can't turn down free ammo... :)

#6 ·
These guys like Chuck have probably never shot a slug in their lives. They have money, and they like the high priced guns, not the stuff we poor folks shoot everyday. Every shotgun is different, just like every rifle, and every pistol. What works well in one gun might not work so well in another. I had one shot gun that shot Remington really well, but would shoot all over the place with any other brand. I have seen 3" groups at 100yds with a 12ga shotgun shooting Foster slugs. They will tell you that the .410 isn't good for deer hunting, but I have seen deer killed with the .410. They will tell you that 7.62X39, SKS, isn't a good round for deer hunting, but I have dropped deer in their tracks with this caliber, form an SKS, and shooting Wolf brand hollow points. Do you have any idea just how many deer have been shot, and killed, with the lowly .22LR? I do recomend that you use the best choice caliber for hunting what ever it is you are hunting, but shot placement will always be King. Just get out there and find out what your gun likes. The most important part about hunting is making sure the bullet goes where it is supposed to go. If you do that you will put meat on the table.

#7 ·
um.. so a sabot slug is for use only in a rifled shotgun.

what happens if you shoot one thru a smoothbore?

bad accuracy.. or does soemthing blow up???

see.. this is why I'm asking.

I'm not a slugger type of guy.. but can't turn down free ammo... :)
If it's a sabot you will see plastic around the lead. The plastic is soft enough that it probably won't hurt anything, but I doubt that you will be hitting a target with it consistantly.

#8 · (Edited)
If it's a sabot you will see plastic around the lead. The plastic is soft enough that it probably won't hurt anything, but I doubt that you will be hitting a target with it consistantly.
Yet still, at close range for defense, it is fine.
Shoot some @ 10yds or less at a 2'x2' target.
As good as any slug if you hit the mark....with a smooth bore/sabot.
I don't care much for slugs.....but they work.
You have free ammo.....choot it !
That make sense ?

I have a .410 SxS and I would trust it for home defense
with the best of them......loaded only with Winchester PDX1 Defenders
which is an awesome round for a Taurus Judge or a Smith Governor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.