Scope Cam alternative

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by Brazilnut, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Member

Good news for shooters who use adaptive gun supports that make it hard to put your eye up to the scope, or those who want to help a blind hunter aim a rifle.
    I use a Trophy Shot scopecam, and I’m happy with it, but this product seems to have disappeared from the market.
    While researching the Internet I came across this less expensive alternative: a digital camera on an Orion SteadyPix Deluxe Camera Mount (which is designed for taking photos through a telescope).
    Although it looks good, I haven’t tried this out. The camera must have macro-focus capability, so you’ll have to experiment to find a model that works with your setup.
    Here’s a video of the setup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ11oVUjbR0&feature=BFa&list=PL83B6A2AA89B88B71
    And a link to Amazon.com for the camera mount:
    http://www.amazon.com/Orion-SteadyPix-Deluxe-Camera-Mount/dp/B0069VXY7K
  2. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I just saw a promo on a mount that goes onto the eyepiece of your scope, and then your iPhone goes into it and you just look at that screen. Not sure how well the phone would hold up to serious recoil but if you had an older one that you were willing to sacrifice it might be something to research. I have one of the first gen iPhones that still worked fine, I'd just replaced the battery when all my apps started to not work with the highest operating system for that phone...might give it a try or make one myself and see.
  3. garydude

garydude Member

Andy I actually thought of this guy when I read your post title. I've spent many an hour watching him pop chipmunks or birds with his pellet rifles. Great videos and a very nice set up, but yours seems much more elaborate. Though not bad he does have some camera shake when he fires the pellets. I think it would be tremendous with a high powered rifle, but would probably work great for the need you spelled out.

When's the next hunt? Can't wait to hear about/see it!
  4. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Member

I use my scopecam only for aiming, so camera shake from recoil isn't a concern.
    I just found out that Be Adaptive http://www.beadaptive.com/ offers a scopecam/monitor similar to mine for $700...kinda pricey but worthwhile if it keeps you in the hunt.
    Do you read my blog? It has stories to keep you entertained between my forum posts.
    My next trip will be to Argentina for red stag in March 2013.
    But hey, I live in Rio de Janeiro, where just going to the grocery store is an adventure!