Scope Caps?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Albtraum, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

The flip up style? Do you use them? Like them? Or do you use ones that come off completely? Or just a stretchy fabric scope cover? Thinking about getting a set but idk, they seem kind of tacky, but seem kinda of convenient.

[​IMG]

I don't know if that red button would be annoying, being so close to my eye.............
    [​IMG]

One more question! When mounting your scopes, did you use loc-tite on all screws, on the mounting base and rings? I didn't, and was thinking about taking it all off and putting it back on with loc-tite and maybe more torque... Although I've never had problems with keeping zero.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

I like the see through caps. you can flip them up if desired, but for those unexpected "chance of a life time" shots they really do "save" the day.

yes i use locktight on the screws..but only torque to suggested torque. too easy to strip the threads and ruin a set of mounts.
  3. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

They might be tacky, but they are functional. I don't mind them.
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Luv those foam scope coats. They come with every acog, like them so much; I bought them for all my other guns.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I like the see thru bikini ones... oh, wait, you mean for scopes?

well, I like see thru bikini covers for them too!

nobody makes them anymore though, got a bunch of old ones my dad has been rounding up at flea markets and gunshops.

Use blue (medium) loctite on your scope mount hardware
  6. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

butler creek still makes them. the size seems to be off some though. i have in the past used clear silicone sealant to get loose ones to fit properly.

Cabelas sells them!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Butl...WTz_l=Header;Search-All Products#BVQAWidgetID
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Yeah, I've got those on a few scopes but they always wind up breaking on me and finding clear ones in the right size is a pain in the neck. Plus, if you don't secure them well, they like to fall off when pushing through brush or if you bump them a certain way.

I like this style the best, simple, and won't fail. they just slip on but you can see through them, most of them are rubber and are opaque though. Can't seem to find anyone who makes/sells the see-thru kind I like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing to break on them, no noise as with the quick flip open covers produce a fairly audible pop not to mention you can take a shot quickly if you have to as is. If you get time, then you can easily slip them off and have a nice dry, clear scope.

It can fog up underneath them still (although pretty rare) but no more than the regular flip up caps. Why doesn't anyone make these?

Maybe I should start making them and selling 'em...