1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Scope choice help

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jpdusn, Jul 13, 2012.

1. jpdusn

jpdusn New Member

Ok folks, here's the deal. I have a Rem R-25 (308). It is a M16 platform rifle with a Pic rail on a flat top upper. (No handle). It's use will be strictly hunting deer, hogs, yotes, and the like on a 3 days a week schedule once hunting season starts. (Its going to get used in the elements) Shots of 300 yards or more while hunting will be extremly few and far between due to terrain.

I do not really want to put a standard hunting rifle scope on it but I will if I have to. What I would like to put on it is a compact version of a hunting scope. (Shorter) Some other features I would like are:
    Fog and waterproof
    Some adjustment of magnification
    A 40 mm lens if possible
    Just a good, decent quality scope that works correctly

Now if you're going to suggest $1000 + optics, forget it. I ain't that guy. So under $300 with good quality would be great. From there up to $500 would require a conversation with the wife that may not be to pleasant if you know what I mean. :eek:

So what's out there? What's worked/didn't work for you? What would you stay away from? And why would you buy/not buy item. So, hit me with it.
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Sorry but, getting a good decent scope for under $300 for a .308????

I don't think so.

How much did the rifle cost? Optics for it should start there, at that cost. If you want good optics for that rifle, that can consistently hold zero under the recoil of a .308, then, you gotta be willing to pay for it.

You have to PAY for flexibility, reliability, etc.

If such a scope (and mount) exists for under $300, i'll not only be surprised, but I'll order one today.

Good luck. :D

Oh, and welcome to TFF. If a scope like that exists, someone on here will know about it.
  3. jpdusn

jpdusn New Member

I know there're plenty of hunting scopes out there around the $300 mark that would work just fine. Heck, I own a few of them. Just not real familiar with the compact or AR style scopes so that's why I'm inquiring here for some guidence.

And I'll take your offered luck kind sir because that is still free. :D
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest