Scope choices

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Double D, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

With all of the options out there, how do you guys go about choosing the right scope for your gun? I get this question alot and honestly, I dont have the answer. I have always been able to get by with the 200.00 and less range scopes and I know guys that wouldnt think of putting one on their gun. So, just curious how your selection process goes. Natchez offers refurbished scopes for almost half price and I wonder if they are worth the savings or not. Since I have never hunted any real long range hunts and the majority of my hunting was hog and gator hunting, I used a 41mag super blackhawk pistol for hogs. When I hunted deer, most shots were 100 yds or less.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

If it's the right way or not, I don't know but..... I take the caliber in question and add to that a practical range for it and then add in the average terrain I'll be using it in. Then I go window shopping. But price is usually the deciding factor any more.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have had Lepould, burris, and bushnell cheapies and elites.

Money wise i usually pick the bushnell elites. Why? Because their rain guard works and helps on the cold mornings when your breathing is fogging up the scope. Once you work with an elite you will never go back.

Then i pick a scope that will do what i need it to for the gun i have.
  4. Sandman

Sandman New Member

My general rule of thumb is to be willing to spend as much money on my glass as I do on my rifle. That is not a hard and fast rule though. Rimfires get a cheaper scope since the range is short and recoil is low. My .444 is basically a 150yd rifle, so I put a $150 Burris on it. Anything that has the potential to be used for longer ranges, I break out the wallet and get something higher end.
  5. RichR

RichR Member

I have several guns and all are scoped-I do have preferred brand name scopes but I usually let price be my guide.Most all scopes on the market will do the job required,if thy did't thy would not be on the market long.I have all different brand name scopes and all have served me well.I do prefer Leopold,however that does not keep me from buying other brands.
  6. Double D

What do you guys think of Barska scopes?
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Low end is low end, really. As good as any of them, I'd guess.
  8. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

If you pay $100 for a scope, your going to get $100 dollar scope. if that is what you are happy with, go for it.

If you want a very good scope with very good optics, your going to have to pay for it. You have to decide what you want in a scope, not the rest of us. Just don't kid yourself, in scopes (for the most part) you get what you pay for.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  9. Double D

Well, im not in the market for a scope, I am just curious how you guys choose yours when you buy. Catalogs are slam full of choices and its hard to narrow down. I get alot of customers wanting my help in choosing and I am no help to them. I am a handgun guy anyhow and thats more my passion. I appreciate all the answers so far.
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

It's all budget, really. We sell some lower-end stuff, but are also dealers for Schmidt & Bender and US Optics.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I chose my optics based solely on Experience and what im gonna use the rifle for.

My .44 mag leveraction carbine got a Redfield revolution 2-7X33 with accu-range. its an inside 100 yds deer gun so no major magnification and no parallax adjustment.

My .22LR rem 5 got a BSA Catseye 3-12X44 with target turrets and side focus. Im not a huge fan of BSA optics, but heck its just a .22, and the scope was 70 bucks.

My custom builds, the Savage .308 and the Remage .243 both got Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40s with BDC reticle and side focus. Both rifles are Long range Hunting rigs, not dedicated target rigs so I didnt need 36X zoom and a 56mm objective. But they have enough magnification for precise target work out to 200 yds and pretty good target work at 300. So they suit me well and the optics are phenominal.

I aint ever owned a scope that cost more than 350 bucks and I have yet to need to..
  12. cycloneman

The only thing i can add. Good optics are a must for the hunter that is having to score the deer before he kills. I have got to tell you that kind of hunter is allready gona know what he needs - usually.

I have pretty good binos but my long range rifles have much more power. SO it is nice to glass with the binos but then i use my scope to help me score. Gotta say hunting like that sucks. I have had to hunt in leases where this was a must and looking to get away from that. Allthough it is fun to look at a lot of real estate i am now ready for the 100 yd shot and shoot what ever i want to put in the freezer.
  13. Double D

Cyclone, I was waiting for someone to mention binocs. I often used them in the field.
  14. cycloneman

First started hunting in Louisiana. Never used Bioncs.

Then started hunting Tx on top of hills, must use bioncs for scoring. After years of watching deer in tx i can say this. I dont care where you hunt if your not using bioncs your missing it. Unless your hunting with a bow and your 35 feet in the air and you dont have but a 45 yr shot anyway.

Then I started hunting in New Mexico. Open pastures, that is another can of worms.

You need to be able to see into the woods.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I do have a nice pair of Burris 10X32 binoculars. They are big and a bit bulky and I favor my 8X32 monocular, but beck carries that because its small and light.