Scope for 10/22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by CampingJosh, Oct 10, 2009.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I was recently given a Ruger 10/22 (basic carbine model), and I'm planning to put a scope on it. I know the gun isn't the most accurate by itself, but I've never had a scope on anything I've owned, so I figure this is a good enough starting spot.

As I've never had a scope before, I don't know much about which brands are worthwhile and which are just junk (and remember, I'm shooting a 10/22 with the factory barrel, so let's not get carried away).

Are there any scopes in the $30 to $50 range that are better than the others? Tasco vs. Bushnell vs. BSA, etc.
  2. mjpchief

mjpchief Member

Tasco 3-9x40. Nothing else needed.
  3. pawn

pawn New Member

This would be my choice bearing in mind your price parameters:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=887219

I just scored a 10/22 myself, its gonna be a fun rifle. There is a little bit of a trick when reassembling... the spring/bolt handle assembly has to be pushed up against the receiver for the bolt handle and the bolt to mate up. This took me a little while to figure out. You will see what I mean.

Enjoy your rifle. :D
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I've toyed with the idea of a scope for my 10/22 also but decided that since I don't use it for hunting it would be needless addition. One thing I read when researching the possibility was that supposedly the Ruger mounts that come with the rifle aren't very good and you should pitch them. I'm sure you can find a good enough scope in your price range but you might spend a bit more by the time you buy mounts and rings.
  5. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

I'm prejudiced in this area because of my airgun field target background, but - I'd stronly suggest you look for a scope with adjustable objective - to reduce/eliminate parallax. There are quite a number of air rifle scopes out there that will meet your needs and focus down to 10 yards. That is a really nice feature. If a scope will stand up to a spring air rifle, it will have no problems on anything else. The recoil on my RWS 52 air rifle is much more noticeable than on my .22 Savage. I suggest you check out your local WalMart. They'll have a variety of scopes that would work for you. You haven't indicated a preferred power level, but they have a very nice Centerpoint 4-16x mil dot scope with illuminated center dot for around $70. I'm currently using a BSA 3-12x airgun scope I got from Sportsmans Warehouse for about $80.
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Josh, I can only tell you that I have a cheap BSA "Deerhunter" 3x9 on mine and it has worked so well through the years that I find no need to upgrade.

Good luck in your search...

Crpdeth
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Josh, PM your address to me and I think I can fix you up. I have a BSA 22 scope that I am not using that I would be glad to send to you. Had it on my 10/22 until I changed it to a .17Mach2 and upgraded to a Sweet 17 scope.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

PM sent. Thanks, gdmoody.
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I love this forum! Thanks for being a stand up guy Moody!

Crpdeth
  10. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

I started out with a 3X9 scope on my 10/22 but really didn't work for me. I put a set of ghost ring sights and now I love my 10/22. Fast, easy target aquisition. It's become my "over the back door" go to gun out on our farm. Sort of reminds me of an M-1 or M-1 carbine sight.

tonygrz
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with the low cost Tasco and Simmons scopes for fun shooting. I like the 3x9 variables. One suggestion, dump the Ruger base and go with a Weaver style base and rings. I will save you some hassles that come with the rings moving on the base of the Ruger.
  12. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I got a 4x fixed power made by Weaver designed for rimfire rifles. I think it was around eighty bucks, but it works great to about a hundred yards.
  13. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I have a 4x Simmons 22Mag scope on my 77/22 and I really like it. IMO anything over 4x for a .22 is overkill. The Simmons is reasonably priced and performs very well.
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Sandman, I won't disagree with you 4x but with my 70 year old eyes that 9x makes those golf balls hanging at 100yds. a whole lot easier to hit. Hang them from a pipe on about 18 inches of cord and watch'm spin.
  15. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I understand. It has a lot to do with application. My .22 is almost strictly for hunting, and not many shots past 50 yds. If you are using it on small targets at 100 yds, I certainly can understand the need for higher magnification.