1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

scope for 300 mag

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bigbubba, May 18, 2007.

1. bigbubba

bigbubba New Member

hi i was looking for a new scope for a 300 weatherby mag i just got . this i my first long range rifle and would like to no what would be the best scope for the money and still do the job . till now i have been using a tasco on a .35cal.:) can anyone help with this ?http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    :)
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

To answer you question, I need to ask one how much are you looking to spend
  3. bigbubba

bigbubba New Member

$150.00-$200.00
  4. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

What job are you looking to do Bubba? Define what you consider long range, what are you shooting at? Targets that don't move give you lots of time to acquire a sight picture so high powered scopes (10x and up) are a good choice. For stuff that moves around a lot you'll need a medium powered scope (I like 3-9x variable) to give you a wide field of view and allow you to find your target. The standard response to these questions is spend whatever you can and shop around. Spend some time thinking about what the rifle will be asked to do and get any bells and whistles that will be appropriate to that job. Leupold is always a good choice but maybe a little pricey with the numbers you stated, I've always had good luck with Simmons scopes for those prices.
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I'll second the vote for Simmons for that price range. There's nothing wrong with Tasco world class scopes. It's hard to buy a bad name brand scope nowdays. The lower cost scopes have good optics, they keep their seals well, they stand up to recoil well & they hold their zeros well. When you spend into the Leupold range you get a scope that will shoot to a point, then you can turn the adjustment screws in or out a certain number of clicks & then reverse the adjustment & the gun will return to the same point you were hitting before a little better than the cheaper scopes. If that's important to you. If you spend lots more money you get noticeably better optics in the Swarovsky & Zeiss scopes. Todays lower cost scopes are an amazing value. A 3-9 power scope is great for big game hunting. Not too bulky or heavy & it's plenty powerfull. If you want to varmint hunt you may want more power.
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I like Burris when it comes to glass but not for the price you are talking about.
    Ron
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

8. bigbubba

bigbubba New Member

thanks for all the help .
  9. The Big Dog

The Big Dog New Member

Hi Bigbubba,

I help out at my local rifle range helping people sight in their rifles. I sight in more rifles in a year than you'll ever shoot in a lifetime. I'll give you a list of scopes that I would stay away from. BSA, Bushnell - not the older ones or the Elete 3200/4200, Leuplod Rifleman, Nikon Buckmaster, any Tasco not made in Japan, NcStar. In your price range, I've had personal experience with Simmons Atec scopes. Very clear optics. They held their zero on a 300 Win Mag. For the economy scope, The Atec's and the 44Mag series scopes have worked for me. My friends and I have 41 Simmons 44Mag series scopes on budget rifles with only one scope malfunction so far. I've helped 9 people get the Atec scopes and no complates so far.

I have 1 Nightforce, 4 Leupold VX III Target, 2 Millett TRS-1 Tactical, 5 Tasco TS Target, 3 Tasco's made in Japan { all my Tasco's are made in Japan }, 5 Simmons 44Mag, 4 Tasco ProPoints, and 2 Chinnese copies of the Leupold Mark 4. The 2 chinnese scopes don't hold zero so they're not mounted on any of my rifles right now. I have and use scopes in all price ranges. I don't care what name is on it. If it doesn't work, it's gone!

For what you are looking for, I think the Simmons 2.8x10 Atec should fit your needs and budget. I think the best price I can find now is Natchez shooters supply for $159. Hope this helps.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog
  10. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

I have a 2.8-10x44 Simmons Aetec on a Remington 760 and it is a great scope for the money...Very clear, good light transmission. You will find better scopes out there, but you will also pay more money...Good luck with the hunt, but put your eye on an Aetec before you buy
  11. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

ilove my big old ncstar not sure of the model but it only cost 100 dollars new. Holds its zero well and has the click adjustment dials.But it's also only on a 270 that i don't shoot farther than 300 yards with.
  12. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

Whichever scope you pick, be sure to get one with a minimum of 3.75" eye relief for that rifle. You don't want to wind up with infamous "Weatherby eyebrow"! :)
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER
  13. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

'as for damn sure...those sting a lil