scope for a 300 Weatherby

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jimshoe, Jun 15, 2012.

1. jimshoe

jimshoe New Member

I have recently purchased a 300 Weatherby. Now I need to purchase a scope. I'd like to spend a total of $500, with the best possable mounts and rings. Shooting distance would be from 50 to 400 yards and would like to have the circles or bars for quick distance choices. Does any one have any suggestions?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

with the 300 weth thats a heck of a hard hitting and recoil making round not so much push but some impact never the less .. so you'd be loooking for a high recoil tolerance scope

this is what i has as my close in scope for the .416

Swift 6.5-20x44mm High Recoil Scope 686M Riflescope Rifle scope

this one was $320 USD shipped to Oz so i think $289 or $299

i've a Leo that was $800 for the longer ranges and use a posi loc bar to ensure accuracy on the change over ,

this scope is great to 800 meters
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  3. Cajun Chooter

Cajun Chooter New Member

I have a Leopold 3-9 on my 300 Weatherby.. it has performed flawlessly
    for almost 25 years hunting in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Texas & Idaho...... hard to recommend other optics..
    LEUPOLD'S are guaranteed for your lifetime !
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

There are lots of good scopes. There are significant optical quality differences between cheap or promotional quality scopes and "moderate to expensive" price point scopes. There are diminishing optical returns (significantly improved performance) between moderate priced scopes and very expensive scopes or binoculars or spotting scopes. Often a moderate price rifle-scope will perform very well on a rigid breech block rim-fire or or light recoiling centerfire rifle.

However, when you mount a rifle-scope on a semi-auto or magnum centerfire rifle, few promotional or moderate priced scopes are mechanically built to stand up to the stresses of the recoil and/or vibrations from the action cycling. One major scope brand used to advertise that their best scope was good for like 8000 shots from a .375 H&H, while their next to best scope was good for only 2000 such shots.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012